Lap Times Sticky Thread

Jamz72

Paid Member
I was thinking it might be a good idea to have some sort of 'Lap Times' sticky thread in the Trackdays section..

So people could post their fastest lap time for a given circuit and surrounding information about tyres and weather on the day etc along with it. Could be quite interesting?

I also feel like I'm going to have to justify this suggestion - the intention wouldn't be for everyone to go out and try and beat the fastest time, it would just be interesting for people to compare their times with others, even if they're just tootling around.

Imo though the thread couldn't just be a multitude of different posts with people's times otherwise it would be a mess and a bit pointless. Is there any way one post could be edited by a number of different users (potentially everyone)?

What do people think?

James

There is a howfast post knocking about.

best thing to do is buy harrys laptimer or book on a how fast session as most lap times are BS guess work at best, imo of course.

Yeah I bought HLT the other week. My suggestion is to have a central location for us to post up lap times for the different tracks we visit. So if I go for a trackday and record my fastest lap with HLT, I can then post it up to a central location. Then the next time someone else goes to that track they can see the spread of 197/200 times around the circuit and see where they fit in. I think it would just be quite interesting

i thought any kind of timing on a track day was a big no no, and if found with any sort of timing device your were told to leave the track and go home, dont pass go and dont collect £200

I've seen a few people get thrown out for timing but they were timing from the out wall

if your discreet about it (using an internal lap timer) then They leave you alone. If you obviously timing ourself or have so done with a pit board and stop watch its their obligation to stop you if they see you for insurance purposes.

i thought any kind of timing on a track day was a big no no, and if found with any sort of timing device your were told to leave the track and go home, dont pass go and dont collect £200

Never had an issue with HLT being allowed, technically it plots gps position and data logs which can be set to show timing or not and just video if desired.

Having said that v17.5 on iOS just added back ground recording so you can see your lap lap easier.

I like the idea tbh. On track days (Other than How Fast events) lap times don't really concern me at the time. I time myself roughly when watching my GoPro videos back.

That way theres no distraction of timing oneself on track thus breaking the "no timing rules".

The idea is good though. Would be nice to put car spec next to the time also.

Yeah I think it's a good idea. Enough people film their track days & use timing apps, it would be nice to see it all in one place so we can all compare.

N0ddie/mods know if it would be possible to have the first post in a thread available for everyone to edit (to add their times)?

As MP has said. Only Mods and Admin can edit such posts.

Its easy enough for everybody to post their times and we add the info to the 1st post.

Would be best to keep it all in one post as well, just keep deleting posts as they are added to keep the thread spam free and have a discussion thread elsewhere.

Same as N0ddie, I don't and never will time myself as such on a trackday but I'll always have a cheeky look at the timecode on the video when I get home. It's not 100% accurate as it's sometimes hard to judge the exact start/finish line etc., but it's about as close as can be and given it's only a bit of fun anyway that'll do for me. :smile: