Lack of Power

Sometimes when accelerating the car is very sluggish. It's almost as though it's still running the cold setting where there isn't much power. It only happens from a cold start. If I shut the car off and start it up again straight away it is fine and back to full power.

It feels like it struggles sometimes to change to the hot map from the cold start up one.

Anyone got any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

Jamie

[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]I hate that bloody NA engine. Its the chassis that makes the Clio and how it can carry the speed into the corners. The lack of low down grunt is embarrassing at times, and the gearbox short ratios gives the illusion that your travelling faster than you actually are.....

[/FONT]

You might find it's the thermostat mate. Me and Litchy had this issue with ours.

This sounds familiar to me also. After the engine is warmed, I.e the temp gauge is starting to move. Then its fine

If your saying that after a restart it's fine would a ecu reset help? Just disconnect the battery for 5 mins and see what happens :smile: make sure you've got your radio code tho lmao

I'll try disconnecting the battery for 5 mins. Yeah I've got the code. Found that out the hard way when I took it off before. W's driving around for a week with no radio.

Does the thermostat not just open and close to allow water through to cool the engine down? I think it could be the thermocouple that tells the engine when it's up to normal temp ( If that even exists)?

Deaks- it doesn't it when the engine is warm but only after a cold start. If I wait for it to warm up, turn it of and back on it runs perfect.

There should be a thermostat for the temp gauge on the dash not sure where it is on these engines tho but there pretty cheap and easy to replace if it is that tho

edit: it's just next to the thermostat, directly below the throttle body.

Last edited:
They do open and close but they get stuck. Mine was causing it have abnormal switches in normal driving to the cold map. Also overheats when to hot. It might not be your cause but it's worth checking :smile:

As said, for £20 its worth starting with the thermo....I was stupid and done other more expensive bits first!!!!!

I disconnected the battery yesterday and it seemed fine after that but it's not always it does it.

Ordered a new thermostat from ktec today and I'm off next week so will fit it then and hopefully the problem will be solved.

Fingers crossed anyways.

Fancy doing a how to as I think I need to change mine as well.

Where on the dash needle should it be? Mine only goes up to about 1/4 of the gauge?

I disconnected the battery yesterday and it seemed fine after that but it's not always it does it.

Ordered a new thermostat from ktec today and I'm off next week so will fit it then and hopefully the problem will be solved.

Fingers crossed anyways.

I have really strong feeling that this problem is not caused by thermostat. Your car and mine do have some problem.
As you said, it would not do that every time.
If it is thermostat problem it would do it every time. My cluster temp shows normal even it does it (lack of power). Have you noticed when you try to rev it the intake noise is something strange and it would not take revs as it should..

I am having the same problem as well
Feels like on cold map as well
lack of power n exhaust note r different lacks of pops n bangs
Still no idea will a thermostat help at all

I'm just starting with the cheapest option. £25 for a new thermostat from ktec do if it work then I'm happy. I've ordered a 182 one which makes it run hotter so might solve the problem.

I am having the same problem as well
Feels like on cold map as well
lack of power n exhaust note r different lacks of pops n bangs
Still no idea will a thermostat help at all

Hi, welcome to "lack of power" club.. do it help in your case if you "reboot" car, (shut it down and re-start).. in my case it helps instantly.

Just fitted the new stat. Goes up to temp fine and sits there. Even when booting it it doesn't move like the last one did.

Still did the lack of power thing but this time from a hot start. I had the vvt solenoid out to have a look at it as I Thot this could also be part of the problem and it came up 'check injection' when I started it up as I stupidly forgot to plug it in. Plugged it back in with the engine still running then went for a run and had no power. Pulled over and restarted it and was like a different car. So think the fact it wasn't started up with the solenoid plugged it didn't help.

Ive just had had a thought, it seems like the vvt system is not kicking in. What viscosity and type of does every one use?

I begining to to think it has to do with the type of oil or the solenoid it's self.

Sounds like a similar problem to what I had. My mate plugged the car into laptop came up with a cam sensor issue. Fitted new one "good as new".hope that helps..

Reactions: Jay_197RS