Ktec rattle...owners advice required

Hey,

Has anyone else experienced a rattle from the ktec exhaust tailpipes? I believe it is caused by the tailpipes hitting off the tailpipe heat shields that are attached to the diffuser when the exhaust is hot.

Anyone worked on their own little solution or had this problem?

Already spaced it some, the pipes sit perfect in the centre the way I have it setup, but I think when the system gets hot it is rising up a little and then rattling off those heat shield cones that go around the tips :worried:

No one else had this?

the heatshield is easy to bend and slightly flatten out of the way - done it to mine as the tailpipes are a larger diameter :coffee:

thats if it was a 197.....200 you will have to adjust - the collectors are held by 3 torx screws from underneath - you could try loosening these and seeing if you can get some clearance

Last edited:
Think i said this in a post before i get the odd tap on the left heat shield which i can live with,can adjust the tailpipes a bit to get it right.

Yeah I get this mate... I notice it when it gets warm, I agree with the heat shield being the cause!

Shall take diffuser off and tack down it where it sits under the exhaust!

Only got it on the drivers side though :s

Pretty sure mine is the passenger side tail pipe too, although like I said, the pipes sit perfectly in it, it is only when you get the system pretty hot that the pipes seem to rise up a bit, then you get the slight knocking. Nothing too major, but I will maybe try a tiny adjustment.

Thanks

Did you space it with the washers though?? as said above? (two washers one for each hanger and two small jubilee clips to keep the washers still)

-This stops it happening

-Andy

Me and my mate resolved it, we realised the system was a bit wonky and was banging and rattling on the underside of the boot, so we removed the back box again and heated up the rest by letting the engine run for a few mins. Then twisted the mid + centre section as one piece about 2cm anti clockwise which pulled the box down. Never had a problem since.

I don't understand how an issue like this was overlooked by ktec!! It seems a lot of people have this issue!

Have people complained to K-Tec?

They can't fix something if they haven't been made aware a problem exists?

That is very true, I shouldn't assume, I would think slightly larger heat shield tips would fix this problem for good, so who is going to fabricate some and do a group buy? Lol

Ive just jacked mine up and found it to be a loose bolt allowing the diffuser to have slight play... but i think with the exhasut heating it up it casued the banging to become alot more noticeable!

Hope its sorted now!