Knocking noise

Yesterday I picked up my Clio 200 from Arnold Clark after is was getting a new manifold under warranty.
The mechanic took it for a drive and said there was a knocking noise coming from the front left and said it was the shock.
They have said they will not replace it under the warranty as the shock is not leaking.
Is this true that the shock would cause the knocking noise and not something else?
Cheers!

Seems to be a multitude of things that can cause a knock from the front end on these Clio's.

Shocks seem to rattle / Ball (hub?) joint / Link Arm / Top Mounts / Engine Mounts - possibly a couple more to add to that list but those are the ones mentioned regularly!

I think the most important thing to check is the lower engine mount/ensure the new manifold isn't knocking against the sub frame (especially if the knock wasn't there before the manifold replacement). Many people install Powerflex Lower Engine mounts in order to get around this.

Last edited:
Quite simple solution, it's knocking, it's under warranty, it shouldn't knock, take it back and they should sort the knock... Too many dealers try and get out of things like this, had it happen to me.

Seems to be a multitude of things that can cause a knock from the front end on these Clio's.

Shocks seem to rattle / Ball (hub?) joint / Link Arm / Top Mounts / Engine Mounts - possibly a couple more to add to that list but those are the ones mentioned regularly!

I think the most important thing to check is the lower engine mount/ensure the new manifold isn't knocking against the sub frame (especially if the knock wasn't there before the manifold replacement). Many people install Powerflex Lower Engine mounts in order to get around this.
Thanks for the reply. I had both front hubs replaced May last year. So the engine mounts sounds like a good bet. Thanks very much.

I had a knock. Turned out to be the top mount failed and this allowed the damper to move thus causing the knock

I had a knock on the front left. Replaced the top mounts and that didnt work, took to Renault and they couldnt see what was wrong and said they would need to spend 3 or 4 hours stripping it down at a cost of over £300 to find the problem. When it was in for a service at a local garage they noticed the front left spring was snapped. Had that replaced and the noise was still there, they investigated further and found it was the shock that had movement in. Had both front ones replaced as thats what recommended and its all good now.

So not sure if the spring being snapped put extra pressure on the shock, or if the shock being knackered meant the spring was stressed more.