Just took out a 197 cup.............

Hi all iv been looking at getting a 197 cup but it didn't have the Recaros??? Had "cup" on the door pillars. I drove over to elite motors where the car was in my little old Williams. I was most Disapointed in this 197. It seemed very asthmatic and even to the red line it was not great. I was expecting a lot more to be honest.
Are the 197s like this? Do they free up a lot with exhaust and decat? My Williams would kill this car easy. I'm thinking this cup may have a problem? What do you guys think?

Cups dont come with Recaros as standard it was an option..........

They need sterring i agree, however its in the feel of the car.

I Can assure you that are as quick as any 172 (although don't feel it), which in turn would be quicker than your Williams :wink:

Yep, Recaros were only standard fit on the R27's. Incidently, i'd sell you my Ultra Red R27 for much less than the price of that cup! That seems over priced in my opinion.

Definitely overpriced. As for the performance though, I'd say that you have driven it and had a feel for the car, perhaps try one more to make sure that it's not a duff one?
I would say that basic mods won't make as big a difference as you'd hope.

I have to say when I first bought mine I was a little bit dissapointed with the performance but I put that down to going from a 140bhp turbo diesel back to an N/A. A few days to adjust my driving style and all was well.

It pains me to say it, but thats a little pricey for that car. TBH I wouldn't touch that thing with a barge poll. Those stickers are awefull, and other than the colour its a ****ty spec for the money.

I was not looking to spend that much but I'd not driven one before so needed a test drive. The pas side front wheel is kerbed badly and the drivers door had a thick scrape in it near the handle. Just very disappointed with the performance. I think I need to try another as it may have been a pup.

also did you let it warm up. I dont know what the older clios are like when cold but my 197 is really bad when cold. Once warm its a beast

It was a little lumpy to start with but didn't rag it until it had moved on the temp gauge. I always let the Williams get to 70+ on the oil temp before I stick my foot down. That little car is on 143,000 now and still going strong, it's just noisy and rattle a lot over bumps. Want a newer car but want the fun factor of the Williams.

doesnt sound like it was properly up to temp. Also any advice to buying a 197 or 200 is defo spend the little bit more for recaros purely to get a better resale value.

The 197 is restricted until the temp gauge hits about half way. It does feel very sluggish until up to temp.

The 197 is restricted until the temp gauge hits about half way. It does feel very sluggish until up to temp.

Really? Not heard of that before. Will have to try out another, I looked at a Corsa VXR today was very very nice, nippy also. I need to drive a 197 and it has to impress me now as I'm looking hard at a VXR after that test drive.......... Think I'm going to have to buy a Burberry cap and shell suit! Lol:tomato:

Really? Not heard of that before. Will have to try out another, I looked at a Corsa VXR today was very very nice, nippy also. I need to drive a 197 and it has to impress me now as I'm looking hard at a VXR after that test drive.......... Think I'm going to have to buy a Burberry cap and shell suit! Lol:tomato:

I didn't know that either...

The VXR is a different animal... Turbo'd, softer and less focused..

Indeed, the Type-R's are the same. They just don't feel nice at all until they've got some heat in them.

Mechanical sympathy FTW!!! :smile:

This! It feels like you've got about 60bhp until it's warm. If you've got your right foot at a constant pressure just as it gets past a certain point on the temp gauge (just past the 2nd bar), you can feel it start to pull properly then. On the plus side though, the induction noise is immense when it's cold :smile: