Just a reminder when doing anything with a jack...

Just thought I'd post this as I had a bit of a heart-in-mouth moment and nearly lost my right hand...

Had the car up at the front on the Renault jack just to remove the wheel to clean it. I'd chocked the other wheel with a trusty wedge of wood, car in reverse (slight downward slope on the drive) and what I thought was a tight handbrake. I'd just offered the wheel back up to the hub with my right hand on the top of the wheel and heard a creak from the back... oh ****. Car rolls forward just enough for the jack to slip.

Luckily I have an old tyre that I put next to the jack as a last resort. Car ended up resting on that, disc just touching the inside of the wheel and my wrist jammed between the wheel arch and the tyre. Had to use my free left hand to let air out of the tyre so I could free my wrist.

I guess the point of the post is just to remind others that sometimes you can think you've taken reasonable precautions and maybe because you've done it a thousand times before you miss something, and it goes wrong.

I'm now off to Halfords to get a trolley jack.

Joe

(Please move/edit/delete if in wrong section!)

Halfords trolley jack and some decent Axel stands. I've never touched the Renault jack and would only use it in an emergency (which is its purpose). Although I now need a low entry jack or improvise with some wood/ramps

Halfords jack comes with axel stands, scotches and car creeper.

Or mine did

Glad to hear you're OK mate. Just goes to show you should always use axel stands.

They are a faff though aren't they! Always feel like I'm lifting the car way too high just to fit the stands under.

Good to hear you didn't injure yourself. Best lesson here is to not use car jacks that come in the car.

good move on the spare tire under the car otherwise the damage to the hand and the car- lucky escape mate.
thanks for the free lesson.

Wrist's okay, I thought it was going to bruise but seems fine. I'd always seen people slating the standard jacks you get with cars, but never really understood it and thought a trolley jack was just an unnecessary extravagance for something I do maybe twice a year. But when you think (and see) what 1.2 tons of car is going to do to you, never mind the damage it'll do to itself, then it the decision to get the proper kit is easy.

Went and got the Halfords five-piece lifting kit - on offer at £50 at the moment! Bargain.

Joe

Yep that's the one. Ok so it's not a swanky race one but does the job nicely

Jesus glad to hear you escaped unhurt, I have to admit I have taken wheel off before without using axel stands

Horrible moment, but great that you had the balls to post it. Like a few people have mentioned axle stands are a ball ache but so important.

Glad to hear you've got away with it buddy.