ITG Cleaning kit

Need to clean and oil my ITG panel filter. Do I just need to buy the light oil/dust retention fluid? Looking to just clean it by shaking it and then a light vacuum.

Cheers ...... Simon.

I would like to know, and at what intervals to clean it? I couldn't see any information regarding that in the instructions.

I have just brought a cleaning kit from Demon Tweeks, I got the one with the Air Filter Cleaning Fluid & Dust Retention Fluid (JDR-1). Hopefully it's right Retention Fluid because there are two, I picked the slightly lighter oil variety, no issues yet anyway.

The cleaning fluid dissolves any old oil and retention fluid and you wash it away under warm water.

If it's going to be any help, I can upload the cleaning instructions I got with the kit.

Cheers Luke

Nice one Luke, thank you. I read that you can just wash the filter with mild soap, let it dry at room temp and then oil it, I guess it depends how dirty it is. Like all this car stuff you learn as you go and input from others is priceless.

Cheers ... Simon.

I just bought a filter and a new cleaning/oil kit from a guy on here. I can't see any way you could just wash the filter without the degreasing fluid unless the filter had never been treated with the oil in the first place. The idea is that the retention oil captures the fines, periodically you degrease and wash it out. It's a messy job but I did it in the kitchen sink and I'm still married and at home so obviously not too bad

I thought with panel filters you just give them a rub over with a lint free cloth as they pre oiled,Are them instructions for cone filters.:001_unsure:

I thought pre-oiled meant they were delivered with oil already on them. If you clean them, the oil will be washed off, hence need to re-oil I believe.

I thought pre-oiled meant they were delivered with oil already on them. If you clean them, the oil will be washed off, hence need to re-oil I believe.

Yeah ITG panel filters come pre oiled when i had one i just used a lint free cloth as it never realy got that bad to wash it with anything.With the cone filters i wash it with petrol it drys much quicker then respray with JDR-1.

I have an ITG panel filter that i would like to clean and re-oil, I have K&N cleaner and oil sat on the shelf, is it safe to use this on the ITG?

I have an ITG panel filter that i would like to clean and re-oil, I have K&N cleaner and oil sat on the shelf, is it safe to use this on the ITG?

I would personally.

Used to use K+N recharge kit (Cleaner and oil) on all sorts / makes of filters on off-road bikes - and never had any issues.

I'd just buy the kit for which ever filter you have, it's only about £10-£15 and it lasts ages. Foam and cotton are two completely different filtration mediums so the oils might be different consistencies. I know the K&N stuff is pretty thin and watery but the ITG stuff is a bit sticker if that makes sense.

I've used a light degreaser and hot water in a bucket. The water warms the oil and the degreaser helps remove it.
Get as much oil off and flush with warm fresh water.
Pat dry, leave in the sun.
Oil
This is how I've done my own and used to do hundreds for the Honda btcc cars.

As for oil, thin is good as it's less restrictive but can be drawn into the inlet system. I've had it pooling in the intercooler from a factory oiled filter.
Thicker lasts longer but it's restrictive