Interesting times ahead.....

Next few months will be interesting on the clio landscape. The price of 197's are dropping like the proverbially stone, as too the 200. There's nothing gonna hurt the prices of the out-going car than the in-coming one. I think it will appeal to another group and I'm sure Renaultsport are pitching it at women.

As much as people may hate the new 200, look back and you'll see the same pattern 1*2 owners generally hate 197's and few 'upgraded'. 197's owners generally didn't rush to change to 200's. Most bought the 200 for the new car warranty through PcP payments, and I'm guessing these deals will be coming to an end very soon....

Some big decisions to twist or bust. If people 'bust' and hand them back cause doesn't sound like people will be upgrading to new 200 any time soon, watch the market be flooded by second hand 200's which is gonna have an knock on the price of the 197.

What will also be interesting is the new group of people that will be attracted to the 197. If were honest, theres always been a snobbery associated to Renaultsport, very different to Vauxhall or Ford.

Will be interesting how 'new groups' - the new 200 owners and previous say Corsa and Focus owners are received onto the forum??

Last edited:
Interesting read, imma hopefully be a 200 owner very soon (viewing this saturday). As you mentioned earlier I hope the 'new groups' will be received well. Everyone has different backgrounds when coming onto this forum. I've been on here for almost half a year looking at projects threads and just reading reviews. I've been looking on autotrader and pistonheads pretty much everyday for the past 2 years for a 197/200 but I can now only afford one after finishing uni. A member on here got me hooked on the rs about 2 years ago and I haven't looked back.

So I just hope all members are received well and with no assumptions made just because the 1.6 turbo is around the corner and 197s/200 are becoming more readily available.

NE txt spk from NE ov da noobz N mans dem get banned. :ban:

Yanoo wha am sayinnn!?!

Hopefully the Clio will continue to attract the enthusiasts rather than the willy-wavers. As long as that's the case then I'm sure the demographic will stay pretty much as it is. The prices dropping might not change things too much as they're still going to be dear to run, tax and insure for what they are and they're always going to be difficult to tune. So in some respects I think we will just see more members, rather than a different kind of member.

Well, that's what I hope at least...

Waiting till spring, March time and then going to see how I stand personally as warranty's up in May.

Not sure what to do, to be honest if there's nothing that catches my eye by then I'll just spend some money on the 200 and keep it. I don't owe anything on it so a new car probably puts me into finance which I've avoided so far.

The depreciation doesn't bother me too much as all cars do it, the ones that do it less don't interest me generally. I'd love a 7 of some kind and a barge slag as a daily but not sure I can support that.

Can safely say neither the Megane or new Clio appeal to me, unless I find a written off 250 cup to steal from :smile:

I think the cycle will be the same as the last few Renaultsport models.

Everyone hates the new ones, then over time we get used to them, see them in the flesh and ultimately people start buying them.

My only fear is the wrong sort of person buying the 197/200 and making them into the next council estate wide boys motor.

I just hope the new 200t is a great car and it keeps Renaultsport's excellent heritage in tact!

I said this before, the cost of tuning a NA engine will put off all the traffic light drag strip kings. The things that makes a 197/200 so special will save them from the chavs.........I hope.

So in everyone's opinion what would be my best option right about now.

Currently have an 07 plate 197. I'm 100% getting rid of it this month and looking into a new car - it's starting to become a real cost to run with its unreliability...

Options are a brand new 200 (on finance and p/x my old one in) with the Renault 4+ deal which will give me peace of mind.

A second hand 200 with p/x on mine - warranty from the dealer + option to increase the warranty year after year - hopefully more reliable.

Throw my money at a GT86 over a 3 year deal - good offer p/x on my Clio for it.

My heart wants the new 200 option...

So in everyone's opinion what would be my best option right about now.

Currently have an 07 plate 197. I'm 100% getting rid of it this month and looking into a new car - it's starting to become a real cost to run with its unreliability...

Options are a brand new 200 (on finance and p/x my old one in) with the Renault 4+ deal which will give me peace of mind.

A second hand 200 with p/x on mine - warranty from the dealer + option to increase the warranty year after year - hopefully more reliable.

Throw my money at a GT86 over a 3 year deal - good offer p/x on my Clio for it.

My heart wants the new 200 option...

Go with your heart or you will be let down.

I've had my 200 for 6 months now since new. Use it everyday. It's going to be a high miler by the time I'm done with it. They are loosing money quickly, but I couldn't care less about that. I'd rather loose money on a new car that only I have driven and know where it's been, than buy a second hand one that's seen plenty of track and take the risk of it being bumped/repaired, then spending ££££ on faults anyway.

I'm loving the car.

Doubt I'll spend much on tuning, as mentioned, they're basically at their limit standard.

I don't think we'll see a change in members, just the numbers. They're always a car that goes really cheap and ticks the boxes for what people need as an all round.

There's always threads;

what car for 3K, 182 always comes on top
what car for 1K, ph1 172 always comes top
What car for 7K, 197 always mentioned.

Insurance is what will always be the barrier to keep away from teenagers.

It's a shame they fall on their arse in value so quickly, for such a good car.

I said this before, the cost of tuning a NA engine will put off all the traffic light drag strip kings. The things that makes a 197/200 so special will save them from the chavs.........I hope.

Couldn't have been said better! I'm so glad clio is not that fast (and can't get easily faster) on a straight line..that will keep ''some'' away....