Insurance Excess

Ok i might have had a little paint swapping incident with another car. It happened last Monday 19th (Girlfriends birthday, wat a day) i clipped a micra i lost in my N/S blind spot. Thought rather than go through insurance id have it costed in the boyshop at my work rather than paying £600 excess. The bill came to a mates rate £1200!! Requires to new doors and a list of other crap.

So im just off the phone from my insurance company and they wanted to know why it had taken me so long to report the claim. I explained i wanted to cost the damage before calling as i thought it would be under the £600.

Ian (guy at Admiral) then told me i dont need to pay me excess unless im wanting my own car repaired. Which is just a mark on the bumper and a scuffed alloy.

Am I the only person on the earth that thought any insurance claim meant paying your excess?? No excess to be paid to fix the 3rd party vehicle. :thumbup:

Good side.
IMGP0037.jpg

Bad side, can see where its pushed in at the panel join.
IMGP0034.jpg

Paint Damage
IMGP0035.jpg

Alloy Damage
IMGP0036.jpg

Last edited:
I'm with you two on that, I always thought that if it was your fault you have to pay even if you only claim for the other persons vehicle.

Fortunately "all calls are recorded for training and quality purposes" so I guess you have them by the short and curlies :thumbup:

well the i feel a weight has been lifted off my sholders. Ian told me to get my car quoted and if i want my insurance to pay for it hes given me a ref number, but this will mean i pay my excess.

Ill stick up some pics of the damage, its really not much.

So karl, how much for a cup alloy lol. Will pm you.

The excess on a policy has always been to cover your own car afaik, hence the reason back in the day when it was cheaper to get third party only type policies there was never any excess applied to a policy. Thats why the price is usually cheaper for comprehensive these days, if your repair was say 800 and an excess of 600, the company are 200 down, plus whatever they pay to a 3rd party, most of which they will claim back in premiums from those outside london

Last edited:
That really doesnt look like £1200 worth of damage, I had alot more on my old mk2 dci when it was about 6 months old and the ex slid and smashed a kerb and bollard, that needed wing replacement, wheel bearing, even knoked the gearbox loose and quite a few other bits doing, that was at an arnold clark and came in at 650 ish

That really doesnt look like £1200 worth of damage, I had alot more on my old mk2 dci when it was about 6 months old and the ex slid and smashed a kerb and bollard, that needed wing replacement, wheel bearing, even knoked the gearbox loose and quite a few other bits doing, that was at an arnold clark and came in at 650 ish

sorry if i explained it wrong. £1200 was the quote for the micra which needs to doors + paint and blended into the surrounding panels.

front and rear door roy. Micras seem to be made of kit kat wrapper. I hit the first door and dragged down onto the second, looks like my alloys caught the bottom of the door and ripped the metal away lol :rofl: Its a mess.

Similar Thread Suggestions