Insurance case been reopened

After as much information as possible. Ok, July 2015 my gf was involved in a little accident in her ka with a merc ML, ML man admitted liability at the scene, no damage to his car but a bumper scuff and few clips broke on the ka, £60 damage on the KA very minor. 1 hour goes by ML man changes his mind and saying it wasn't his fault (p**ck). Damage was too minor to go through the insurance and she has an excess of £500. So both decided to go knock for knock. No witnesses at the scene.

Fast forward 3 months later, ML man decides to put in a claim for damages to his car 3 months after the accident. Filled the necessary paperwork saying he was at fault not my gf and asked what he was claiming for as there is no damage to his car, insurance couldn't give me an answer for that.

fast forward to April 2016, gf insurance was coming to an end, got in touch and asked what was happening with the claim, insurance said he had not filled in any paperwork or given any photo evidence since the day he made the claim. Insurance then closed the case and my gf got her 1 years Ncd. She is now insured with a different company with her 1 years ncd.

Today we recieved a letter from her old insurance saying the ML man has had a quote for his damages £1736 wtf!! They are going to investigate his car and update her.

my question is, can they reopen this case? And there was no damage to his car how can he claim for such an amount and why are my gf insurance even entertaining this claim nearly a year later. It's taken him nearly a year to get back with a quote, there's something fishy going on here. what will happen with my gf ncd now with new insurance company she's with?

thanks guy, much help and advice would be appreciated

He's not got a fighting chance if his original claim was knock for knock.

If it gets to the court, he'll he done for fraud.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Wait, didn't you at least get a police report or report it to your insurance company that you've had an accident but don't want to take it further as both parties have agreed knock for knock?

Wait, didn't you at least get a police report or report it to your insurance company that you've had an accident but don't want to take it further as both parties have agreed knock for knock?

Police wouldn't have been interested at the time if nobody was injured.

Do you have any paper work regarding the incident from your old insurer. I investigate insurance fraud and we see old and, previously resolved, incident come back all the time.

Hopefully the investigation will probe into these areas that dont sound right. What would shut his case down would be if you had any photographic evidence at the time at the scene (showing damage / and number plates of both cars?) along with time date stamp?

Providing there are no injuries , no roads being blocked, no evidence of drink/drugs being involved then its not likely to be a police matter.

It was my gf 1st accident, her car wasn't moving and he clipped her front bumper, she was a little upset and was unsure what to do at the time, no one was hurt, he gave my girlfriend all his details, business card etc. She got no photo evidence at the time, but my gf and the ML man both looked at his car and clearly saw no damage. The best part about this, the accident happened a 100 yards from were he lives, so when the claim was made 3 months later, I had snoop around his car myself and the ML didn't have a single mark on it! Does my gf NCD get taken away again?

I disagree.

You should always file a police report.

Nobody was injured when I had a car accident, police where there within 5 minutes to assess.

My wife wee cousin had a bump 3 weeks ago and no was injured! She contacted the police and they were not interested because no one was injured! They did not even turn up so I think even if you want the police there or a report it is not the case from the other side! Especially if no one is injured.

We have been going through the same thing. My gf had the Clio. She was in a parking space and the owner of a Corsa came out saying she hit his car (I wasn't at the scene) Sophie is a small girl and he was abusive. I have spoken to him in the phone and can confirm hes an ar53hole.
We have had investigators out to look at our car and not a scratch. Corsa owner reckons our exhaust tips would have put scratches on his car................they're plastic!
Investigator even thinks its a complete lie. Insurance company can't close the claim because he has to. He went to a no win no fee company and won't let it go. That was 24 months go and we have had premiums loaded and ncb lost because of it. We have tried to get it taken to court through our insurance company but everything takes so long. It seems in the insurance companies interest to keep it going. We pay more every year because of it, so free money for them with no extra work involved. The whole thing is a scam. If you just deny it, it'll just dwindle down to no one getting in contact and it goes silent with no one getting paid out but both claimants getting loaded policies.

Put it down to nothing you can do, and you're screwed for the next 6 years. This is how long an open claim can stay active on your policy.

sorry to hear this..try sevenfourate's link..
a bit of a joke now but do you have any Russian friends??they are known to have guns :tomato:

I thought there was a time limit in which you had to report incidents to insurance company?

Anything after 2 weeks/a month and I'd be saying "what accident"...."I was never in one"?

ETA: NVM sounds like it was reported, then closed and then re-opened. Not sure how that works :worried:

Last edited:
My wife wee cousin had a bump 3 weeks ago and no was injured! She contacted the police and they were not interested because no one was injured! They did not even turn up so I think even if you want the police there or a report it is not the case from the other side! Especially if no one is injured.
That is absolutely shocking! Terrible....

That's not what I've experienced in the past...

It could just be down to the area police force.

We should feel like we can rely on the Police.

No I am pretty sure that is the police model. There is no need for police involvement if there are no injuries , no road blockage , no drink or drugs involved (like I said above especially where a low level RTC is concerned). Think about it, car A has bumped into Car B causing damage , the only thing that needs to happen is damage repair. Insurance companies need to talk to each other, that is it. I realise I am speaking hypothetical and there are 1000 different factors that need to be considered , but keeping it simple.

If there had been suspicion of drink or drugs etc , speeding, injuries then that turns it on its head and the police would get involved.

Similar Thread Suggestions