Info on 2012 MOTs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taken from another forum:

2012 MOT Testers Manual

That link is a link to the new (still technically "proposed" but must be almost final by now) MOT testers manual for the new regulations next year. Highlights:

1) aftermarket HIDs will still pass an MOT if they have a good beam pattern. Levelling and washers are NOT required, but if you do have them, they must work (section 1.7, page 1)

2) remaps are NOT an MOT test failure (no mention of the word "ECU" or "map" in the document at all)

3) decatted diesels are NOT an MOT test failure. Only vehicles which require a full emissions test are eligible for the new visual check for a cat, since there's no emissions test for diesels then they can't fall into this category. And since there's no emissions test, a decat can't make you fail it. As long as you can pass the smoke test, you're fine (section 7.1, page 1)

There's lots of uninformed people still commenting on threads with the various rumours that were going around months ago, mainly about the 3 points above. Everything you need to read is in this document, it's an official VOSA document which is now datestamped 01 Jan 2012, which is why I think this is pretty much the final version which will come into force in around ~6 weeks. Instead of blindly panicing about your HIDs/remap/decat, try spending some time reading this instead and work out how it will ACTUALLY affect you...

Reading the manual it seems petrol cars must have all original cats fitted to pass the MOT. I was hoping mine would still pass because the pre-cat is fitted, do you think the average MOT tester would still pass this as a cat is present?

Status
Not open for further replies.