197: if you could pull out all stops...... what engine conversion would you carry out??

Cams v6 box? How much power would that give you?

No great power, maybe 5 bhp but Sounds great and I can tell much better lower down torque...although really needs a remap to make the most of it, and you'll have to put relocate battery in the boot...Best £500 I'll spend on clio.

Last edited:
I have said it before but it would be a v6 conversion for me 'a la' mk2 Clio. I think the longer wheel base on the new Clio would make it a much better car and less of a handful when you push it.

Supercharger route
hats off to Mike but first, £4000 is a lot of money. Second, make sure you live close to Jamsport cause these conversions are never plug n' play and third, you'll never be able to sell it. Modd'd cars never are. Forth, would like to see one will a few km done trouble free before parting with my hard earned. They do 'sound' pretty special though!!
R26 engine transplant
Only one done in a R27 to date (to my knowledge). Many have failed. The owner done it himself and states it took 300 hrs plus mapping to engineer. That equates to 5-7k garage time. I recon parts could easy come to 2 grand anyway....Does give you 270bhp with a map but again make sure you live close to the garage who fitted it and get use to being without your car for long periods throughout the year...
V6 Airbox & cam
My current plan is V6 airbox, ported and polished inlets, would like to 'cam it'...remap and then put the 4 grand into a Renny R26 F1 in white (modd'd 270ish bhp easy..) or a Renny 250 (£400 remap alone = 305bhp) in a year or so. I recon 15k with buy a good un'....

Food for thought....How many modd'd cars on here are being put back to standard within the last 3-6 months. Quite a few. The forum can be a modders grave yard.....Previous petrol heads have got bored with the clio lack of grunt and won't pay out 5 grand grand for 260bhp. Those who have I think have regretted it....when a remapped FR, GTI, S3, VXR or R26 with give you that and more for 400 reliable pounds....Can you imagine putting 4 grand into a R26...350bhp maybe....

Ok, to drag an old(ish) thread up.
What would you choose for a reliable 330bhp minimum. Preferably without touching the engine internals?

I was hoping to keep it within the Renault stable but it looks like the 250 engine would need some work to lift it up that far.

They will all need to be forged mate. Unless u go the cam route.

Stage 2 megs are bullets, in a clio it would be quicker as they are lighter.

Not yet mate, but its nearly there. Ive got it back but its going back next week and it should (touch wood) be ready for me to blast around track at trax :wink: It sounds mint tho! Get loads of looks from 197/200 owners goin 'what....the....f*ck is under that' lol!! Its proper loud!!!

It needs a restrictor and the map tweaking i believe, but its drives fine.

It will be lol!! But if i boot it past 5k i might blow it coz its running to much boost, hence the restrictor. But once that is in i can go back to smaller pulley so the boost comes in earlier and get more mid range. Now it comes in about 4.5k and it just wants to go, kicks in nice but i dont want to risk blowing it in these final stages. The project has taken while but it will be worth it. Had a few hiccups but thats development i guess, someones gotta do it :smile: lol

They will all need to be forged mate. Unless u go the cam route.

Stage 2 megs are bullets, in a clio it would be quicker as they are lighter.

Rather not touch the internals in case it goes bang, can just whack another engine in then :rofl:

Looks like the Renault units are ruled out then, pity.

Rather not touch the internals in case it goes bang, can just whack another engine in then :rofl:

Looks like the Renault units are ruled out then, pity.

lol fair enough. Would it not just be cheaper to forge than buy/fit another engine tho mate?

lol all the stops . . . . . i would buy a buggatti and ditch the clio lmfao.