I stand before you all today an ENORMOUSLY proud person....

Mike

Gestapo
Platinum Member
....and smug as anything.

Some of you may have seen I attended a Fiesta STOC rolling road meet today. I had no intention of rolling today either.

First thing that struck me was how well organised the day was - the rep there had a list of people coming, who was rolling and a thing to fill in with the results.

They were all nagging me to roll anyway, and Nathan gave in and in the end said he'd pay lol!!!

Mine was the last car to roll, and it raised a few eyebrows as it was totally standard....this is why:

ST Runners:

01: Dan, (Dan-The-Man) - 196.1 bhp (MR 200)

02: Steve, (Readie) - 191.9 bhp (MR 200)

03: James, (James239) -190.2 bhp (MR 200)

04: Simon, (Burty) - 178.3 bhp (MT 185)

05: Aaron, (AzzaST200) - 176.6 bhp
(Full Miltek system, Jamsport Map, Cosworth Cams, K&N)

06: Nathan, (nathan penney) - 169.1 bhp
(Full Miltek system, Jamsport Map, Cosworth Cams, Mountune Cais, 60mm T/B)

07: Lee, (ICEMAN ST 07) - 168.0 bhp (MT 165, 60mm T/B)

08: Phil, (phil_89)- 166.2 bhp
(Full Miltek system, Dreamscience Map, K&N Typhoon)

09: Mark, (Sparky232323) - 160.4 bhp
(K&N)

10: Joe (blondie11411) - 156.6 bhp
(Full Miltek system, De-Cat, Mountune Cais)

11: Ash, (Stickystuff) - 155.1 bhp
(4-2-1 Piper Manifold, K&N)

12: Ollie, (Olie) - 150.4 bhp
(Standard)

Non ST runners:

1: Clio Sport 197, MikeCracknell - 194.1 bhp
(Standard)

To be the second most powerful car there, and it being totally standard, I was grinning like a little kid, and I still am too lol!!! Some of these guys have spent THOUSANDS doing their cars up, and for me to have a standard car that produced that result, well, I felt smug as anything.

HOWEVER, I am not going to rant about underpowered/chavvy whatever ST's because that lot were such a great group of people, they all completely respected other cars (there was a Saxo there too, not a bad word said about it!) I think we can all learn a lesson from them to be honest :wink:

In the mean time, how proud am I to have a 197?! :thumbup::thumbup:
LOTS of Stripes' but only one Roo:wink:

IMG_20111029_102941.jpg

Pink on the viewing screen:

IMG_20111029_130738.jpg

Here we go:
Note the bonnet advert :wink:)
IMG_20111029_130752.jpg

IMG_20111029_131605.jpg
^^one of the runs

One from "Stickystuff" on Fiesta STOC:

6h2d8w.jpg

Last edited:
That's an excellent figure!!! I had mine on a Dyno Dynamics with just her ITG Panel and she read 193.5BHP, so I'm very glad that somebody else has had a very similar result at a different centre, albiet on the same sort of rollers. So either our cars are very healthy, or Dyno Dynamics rollers are generous, or everyone elses are not so generous. :smiley:

Also good to see that the last ST made the published figures for a standard one.

Out of interest, what lb/Ft. did yours record?

I know nothing about graphs etc lol, but here are the three printouts I got :wink:

IMG_20111029_201230.jpg

IMG_20111029_201256.jpg

IMG_20111029_201302.jpg

Fantastic result Mike showing the way with a standard car just goes to show the Clio is a Great little beasty:shout:

149ish lb/Ft. judging off that second graph. Again, very close to the 153.8 lb/Ft. that mine read. :smile:

I'm still grinning, am soooo proud of the little red beast!

Fantastic! :smile:

Bet you loved that mate. That lad must have spent a fortune getting that to 196 bhp!
Sounded like a good day too

I think he spent near on £4500. It was a really good day, it was nice to have something different there too.

I'm still feeling smug too :smile::rofl:

That's an excellent figure!!! I had mine on a Dyno Dynamics with just her ITG Panel and she read 193.5BHP, so I'm very glad that somebody else has had a very similar result at a different centre, albiet on the same sort of rollers. So either our cars are very healthy, or Dyno Dynamics rollers are generous, or everyone elses are not so generous. :smiley:

Also good to see that the last ST made the published figures for a standard one.

Out of interest, what lb/Ft. did yours record?

Aren't the ST's 150 bhp? If so an additional 40+bhp is a lot from a N/A engine. There are some cars that must be not set up right if they are only seeing small gains against what the cars alleged work?
The same from a clio engine, say up to 230 bhp as woody would tell you would run into £££££ too.
Not being funny but if standard cars are around 193 - 194 bhp, then some of us are equally spending ££££££ to 2-6 bhp. Something doesn't add up?????

I'm starting to think some tuners with their RR need to be taken to trading standards for some of these claims...lol

Last edited:
I'm starting to think some tuners with their RR need to be taken to trading standards for some of these claims...lol

Yes, I am investigating on behalf of two friends one of these tuners....an ST on their rollers came out 184BHP after being done by them, but comes out 169 on two different rollers. Saxo VTS 166 on their rollers after a remap, then 140 on other rollers. Scam company big time. They are not going to be named yet, because I know there are some very strong likers of them on here loL!

Litchy, the last ST I was on about is the ''Ollie'' one that was standard and made 150.4BHP, that's what I was on about when I said it's good to see one make the published figures for a standard one. A 46BHP jump is a fantastic achivement on an NA, but I think these 150BHP engines must be quite restricted as I don't *think* Ford needed to make too many changes to boost that up to 170BHP for when it went into the Focus. Or is the 150BHP Fiesta engine a Zetec and the 170BHP Focus engine a Duratec?

I personally think the best use for RRs are for before/after comparrisons when work has been carried out. I've never been one to bother much about figures on a piece of paper but it is strange how there seems to be such a difference from roller to roller and tuner to tuner like you say. Surely, 100BHP is 100BHP, just like 100KG is 100KG!?! But it doesn't seem to be the case.

All I know is that on a new (week old at the time) Dyno Dynamics setup (The Speed Factory in Chorley, Lancashire), my car made near as makes no difference ''published'' figures just as Mikes did on the same brand rollers (Dyno Dynamics) but at a different tuners. Evo Magazine stuck a 200 on a Dyno Dynamics and it made 201.1BHP!?! Again, near as makes no difference the same as what Renault published...

It's a minefield!!! :smiley:

Litchy, the last ST I was on about is the ''Ollie'' one that was standard and made 150.4BHP, that's what I was on about when I said it's good to see one make the published figures for a standard one. A 46BHP jump is a fantastic achivement on an NA, but I think these 150BHP engines must be quite restricted as I don't *think* Ford needed to make too many changes to boost that up to 170BHP for when it went into the Focus. Or is the 150BHP Fiesta engine a Zetec and the 170BHP Focus engine a Duratec?

I personally think the best use for RRs are for before/after comparrisons when work has been carried out. I've never been one to bother much about figures on a piece of paper but it is strange how there seems to be such a difference from roller to roller and tuner to tuner like you say. Surely, 100BHP is 100BHP, just like 100KG is 100KG!?! But it doesn't seem to be the case.

All I know is that on a new (week old at the time) Dyno Dynamics setup (The Speed Factory in Chorley, Lancashire), my car made near as makes no difference ''published'' figures just as Mikes did on the same brand rollers (Dyno Dynamics) but at a different tuners. Evo Magazine stuck a 200 on a Dyno Dynamics and it made 201.1BHP!?! Again, near as makes no difference the same as what Renault published...

It's a minefield!!! :smiley:

I agree. The 'before and after' is a good test, however if your building a car to hit a certain milestone e.g. 250 n\a clio and you've paid ££££££, surely you want to know not that its just more power but an accurate amount. If not it could create all kinds of problems. For example, how would you accurately know about the tolerences of say the other parts. Sometimes say clutches and gearboxes have their limits. There are many occasions when its useful to know how much power you have. Too much smoke and mirrors over this issue and it needs to be more transparent with the claims from tuners. This is a multi billion pound industry....

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more!!!

Is there no single company that calibrates rollers in the UK? I don't know how you'd govern it exaclty, but something needs doing.

i cant understand why there is a difference, other than they wanted them to read high. Surely they need to be calibrated to a standard. There must be a tool available by the makers of the RR to set this. Seems its almost impossible to get a reliable RR in the UK.

What is interesting is that at RS my torque was very similar, just below 150 lb ft, yet my power was 12 BHP down. Something surely doesn't add up as isn't one a function of the other?

Will - Fiesta ST uses the all alloy Duratec HE engine initially used in the Mondeo, the Focus ST170 uses the iron block Zetec-E engine which is branded Duratec and was introduced in the early 1990's.

Power in bhp is torque in lbft x revs /5252.

Therefore its is possible to hit claimed torque but not claimed power.

My car hit claimed torque at 5500 rpm (ish not got graph to hand) but only hit 185bhp (or 188 in french)

So then at 5500rpm it was at 166bhp. But by 7250 the torque had dropped away and it only hit 185.6bhp which equates to only 134.5lbft.

All approximate figures and I think peak power was lower than 7250rpm.