I need more cold air!

Thank you very much to you all for the help and photos...

I will add some hose and the inlet pipe that henderson has show!

I am after 8~10hp (no one talk in 20hp) to get that figure that we think that I should achieve so I need a drop more or less of 10ºC so I think is possible of doing it, and if we all help each other with ideas/tests we probably will find good results for all!

Thanks

There's not a chance you can get 8-10 hp just from that !

you do like your hoses, don't you? :smile:

actually, that is a good idea and should help cooling down the plenum and therefore the inlet temp when running at higher speeds. did you ever bother measuring if it makes any difference? I had a scangauge connected to my twingo all the time and was constantly monitoring the inlet air temp.

would be interesting if there is any measurable difference in real life with your setup vs stock (or at least with covered airfeed pipe)

haha yeah,generally men with big hoses get more attention :wink:

i've also tried running the car without the rubber seal on that fits on the scuttle panel after foxy sugested it may help drag the hot air out,i didn't do it for long though as it made my car even louder inside the cabin

i've also always wanted to get a second inlet plenum and releave the webbing between the fingers on the plenum allowing cold air to pass through,then thought about having it ceramic coated but i'm just not sure its worth all the hassle

i haven't got round to measuring the plenum temps yet but i've spoken to 930tech and he's going to bring some of those temperature sticker things to a track day we are both doing in the summer so hopefully we'll stick one on each car and see what results we get,doubt there'll be much in it and if not then never mind,it was only bits of old air filters anyway so only a couple of hours of my time wasted

once again i don't think there'll be much of a power gain with my filter over stock but it was the noise i was mainly after so as long as i haven't lost any ponnies i'm happy...as for connecting the CAF to the filter,the main problem there is you won't get a pipe that big behind the headlight,and tbh the temperature of the air in that part of the engine bay is pretty decent,i think at slow speeds the filter will get more air with out a big hose connected to it,then at speed the CAF comes into play,just my opinion anyway and i'm more than happy with how it works

Last edited:
Thank you very much to you all for the help and photos...

I will add some hose and the inlet pipe that henderson has show!

I am after 8~10hp (no one talk in 20hp) to get that figure that we think that I should achieve so I need a drop more or less of 10ºC so I think is possible of doing it, and if we all help each other with ideas/tests we probably will find good results for all!

Thanks

well good luck mate,i also think you'll struggle to see those figures to be honest but if you don't try you'll never know! :wink:

When I had my TT Mk1 there was a guy on the American forum who went crazy on this subject. He ended up developing his own filter setup (very similar to the Maxogen), CAF, ceramic gaskets all over the place etc etc
He tried different setups for months and logged all the results, it was a pretty thorough and scientific process... I think he gained a couple of bhp at the end of it but certainly nothing serious and definitely not worth the time and money he spent

wack one these on your bonnet and cut a massive hole in it!

SUBARU_IMPREZA_STI8_BONNET_SCOOP_BLOBEYE.jpg

Plenty cold air then :wink:

Think for a N/A car you are completely wastening your time and barking up the wrong tree. If was a turbo'd car i'd agree

A bonnet scoop just adds drag, you're trying to go faster here. Add some louvres on the bonnet, they will remove the hot air from the engine bay. You can't just shove more air in there, you gotta get the hot air out, that's one thing a bonnet scoop doesn't do. They'll also look better :wink:

wack one these on your bonnet and cut a massive hole in it!

SUBARU_IMPREZA_STI8_BONNET_SCOOP_BLOBEYE.jpg

Plenty cold air then :wink:

Think for a N/A car you are completely wastening your time and barking up the wrong tree. If was a turbo'd car i'd agree

I would say the toilet seat setup on the bonnet would bring more air in like what was on top gear lol

A bonnet scoop just adds drag, you're trying to go faster here. Add some louvres on the bonnet, they will remove the hot air from the engine bay. You can't just shove more air in there, you gotta get the hot air out, that's one thing a bonnet scoop doesn't do. They'll also look better :wink:

i was taking the pee, wasn't been serious :rofl::rofl:

I would say the toilet seat setup on the bonnet would bring more air in like what was on top gear lol

Look's better too :smiley: !

I'm still sticking with my 1% increase max. How are you going to test this anyway? I presume you will get it on a rr before and after?

I'm still sticking with my 1% increase max. How are you going to test this anyway? I presume you will get it on a rr before and after?

don't rolling road fans only replicate road use up to about 40mph iirc so it'll be very hard to test any improvements

don't rolling road fans only replicate road use up to about 40mph iirc so it'll be very hard to test any improvements

Basically there is no way the op will be able to achieve what he wants to, even if he did, actually proving it will be difficult!

I have a obd2 reader so I am always checking what is the inlet temp that the OEM ecu/sensor is reading!

I with the setup that I already have measure it and I already tell you what I am after and what I have now!

I wil make a couple of upgrades and will see what the new readings say!

First place remove the oil breather lines of the intake, then remove the rear rubber of the bonnet so with the drag effect remove many of the hot air of the engine bay and with the help of the removal of the oil breather intake lines see the benefits....

Second try to get the cooler air possible to the intake of the v6 airbox

finally if the results are not improving make a water spray "kit" just to fresh the intake manifold or install a peltier kit on it....

Final if nothing of this results leave the subject :smiley::smiley::smiley:

Lets see.....

Regards

I have a obd2 reader so I am always checking what is the inlet temp that the OEM ecu/sensor is reading!

I with the setup that I already have measure it and I already tell you what I am after and what I have now!

I wil make a couple of upgrades and will see what the new readings say!

First place remove the oil breather lines of the intake, then remove the rear rubber of the bonnet so with the drag effect remove many of the hot air of the engine bay and with the help of the removal of the oil breather intake lines see the benefits....

Second try to get the cooler air possible to the intake of the v6 airbox

finally if the results are not improving make a water spray "kit" just to fresh the intake manifold or install a peltier kit on it....

Final if nothing of this results leave the subject :smiley::smiley::smiley:

Lets see.....

Regards

keep us posted be interesting to see the results :thumbsup:

One week ago my inlet temp was -14celsius.. :s
What i have seen under my 197 bonnet i think it is pretty good design when we are talking about cold ram air intake. It has it standard and it works fine. I am pretty sure you just ruin it with adding some aftermarket filters or air pipes.

turn the botttom of the airbox round so it faces towards the engine modify and connect upto the standard inlet pipe from the grill

Got no pics, but ive heard of someone that unscrewd the box and fitted the bottom half the opposite way round so it faces inwards, then just cut the end of the standard air feed in front of the engine then fit a flex cold air feed between the two.