Hyundai RN22E (upcoming IONIQ 5 N testbed)

OMG, how he wears harness :think:
That (highly pitched, in the background) noise is awful too, very unpleasant and disharmonous to my ears.
Yesterday, Skoda Eniyaq was parking in front of my house. That whiney-pitchy electric motor noise is absolutelly disgusting and thougths of those being majority and standard everywhere makes me wanna rip my head off :worried:
Wonder which is worse noise wise... slowly moving Eniyaq or Ford Transit 2.5D idling in the winter :chris2:

Reactions: Sean197
Not sure about game changer but it definitely adds something extra. I bet it’s still good fun around a track even though it lacks the sound of a conventional engine.

Reactions: Marsch
@deekay16v He actually is the only one of the three guys that get passenger rides that has at least tightened the straps. :grinning:

I assume that whiny sound is something they can't really get rid of? It's not really pleasant and nothing compared to a combustion engine. That's true. Maybe they can up the artificial generated noise a bit more but you'll presumably still hear it.

Not sure about the Enyaq sound. I never heard one live so far but from the couple videos I just watched it seems rather quite?

In general I think the shifting is something that was missing so far and is a huge step in relation to driver involvement (fun) even if it technically doesn't makes any sense.

That's JP a "famous" German tuner and car guy. He should actually know better because he's also driving stuff like this.

I'd guess that the sound the Enyaq is making is the one that's has to be generated below 30 km/h or what ever for pedestrian safety. It's presumably artificial and isn't coming from the electric motor(s) or drivetrain.

Still looks funny with those seatbelts :smile:))
Yeah maybe you are right. But in residental areas we have speed limited to 30 and hearing those driving throught the otherwise silent night... :smiley: I think I will get up and give that driver headbutt :smiley:
I still think that part of that noise (that high pitched whine) is due to the motors, they just try to mask it :smile: Because it sounds exactly like RC cars I used to have, just louder.

He was strapping in and out quite a lot. It presumbly simply wasn't in his focus for the vid. If you've used a 4-point harness yourself you'll know that this will basically automatically happen if you pull the upper straps to tight. That's why I always pay attention when I use mine and make sure the lower straps are around the waist area and not above the belly button as the latter can lead to "submarining" in case of a crash. 5/6-point harnesses are obviously much better in that relation. That said I'm not really defending what is shown in the vid. He should know better and do it correctly alone for the "role model" position he has.

When it comes to EV sounds. The street in front of my house is a 30 km/h zone and the window of my living room at best 10m away from it. I never noticed the noise of an EV passing by and there are more than a few around here. I can't say that about "normal" cars or the noise from cars with sport exhausts (some of them with "crackle maps" from factory). I think you're exaggerating here.

I'm quite sure that the sound in the Skoda video you posted isn't coming from the motors. You simply don't hear them under such conditions. The tire noise is louder than anything an EV will produce at lower speeds. That's the reason why there are regulations in place (at least here) that they have to produce an artificial sound as you simply won't hear them when they're approaching.

Last edited:
Btw, I've to make a correction about the sound of the RN22E in the video above. Even the whine is basically completely generated and ment as feedback. I personally wouldn't have chosen this one and would have rather gone for something more combustion like but Mr. Biermann (*) also mentioned that they only have one sound at the moment which could suggest that they'll offer more types.

How a normal IONIQ 6 sounds and that the whine is actually a selectable mode is shown in this video for example.

*Albert Biermann is the elderly gentlemen in the video and is/was actually the leader of Hyundai's research- and development department and comes from BMW's M department. He's one of the main reasons why Hyundai N's are what they are. Great cars!

Last edited:
Just don't take my posts literally, in this case :wink:
The thing I found funny how he wears harness in this video, do not In any means lower the guys qualities.
And I do not hear any other EV cars here much (esp Lexus and Toyota hybrids are OK-ish). Enyaq was the first one I find annoying, so I hope there wont be more like that.

Here is a video that shows some more about how the actual car will look and what it'll sound like.

Mr. Biermann shows and says the volume can be regulated and it'll have three different sounds they're still working on. One will sound close to a combustion engine and the others more futuristic. What you hear in the video is the second mode.

Last edited:
But equally he should know better, submarining is the last of his worries, if he was in a situation where they were needed, at best he would suffer broken ribs and at worse a rib straight through the lungs and likely heart too. It is the whole reason for the crotch strap, it stops the buckle going under the ribs.
More so, if you have passengers, you really, really should be getting their's right.

Last edited:
As for the noise, it is a stripped out car so going to sound worse. But equally, if you had never been in a ICE car, you would moan about that noise too and manufactures spend huge amounts of money trying to make them quiet. It is just what you are use too. If we are still in cars in 100 years time, people will be moaning that the new technology does not sound good like the old electric cars.

I am old enough to have rights to moan about electric cars LOL :smiley:
I am not moaning about noise per se, I am moaning about frequency which I found very unpleasant, borderline to very irritating. That will be high frequency whining. Maybe it is just me.

Similar Thread Suggestions