How would you fit this exhaust sleeve?

TB Rich

Paid Member
Cue my incredible paint skills....
sleeve.jpg

• I can either use the adapter half in the supersprint and clamp around, then OE exhaust inside the half the adpater thats sticking out and clamp that too (as in top image).

or (which i think is probably the right way as I only have 1 clamp supplied,

• Put everything in all the way and clamp it all down using 1 clamp?

The end of the supersprint has 2 cut outs like the pic, the adpater has 4 cut outs - like the pic but 2 extra ones on the side too. These are only at one end of the adpater, the other end is solid.

Cheers guys.

Rich.

Cheers, yeah I don't think there would be enough purchase/support on the pipes the first way.

Would you use exhaust paste too I assume? Last time I had an almost interference fit like this was on the 106 Supersprint manifold at the y-pipe - always blew unless I gave her a pasting :wink:!

Hi Mate, Exhaust paste is useless IMHO. I would use heat resistant silicon. Allows slight movement and doesnt crack over time. But will need something as no matter how tight you clamp it down will probably blow. To be honest mate because the exhaust is all one piece from the pre cat back I would take it to exhaust place which should only charge you 2 hours labour max. Unless you have access to a ramp.

I dont trust an exhaust place to get it fitted right and tailpipes all lined up properly tbh. I keep reading about how awkward the alignment can be on these cars, either banging on heat shields or burning diffusers!

I would have thought it would be easy enough to remove the diffuser, offer up the exhaust against the standard one and then cut off the old back box in the right place. Slot the sleeve together etc and silicon and clamp it up? Tail extensions must be fairly easy too?

Can you get the silicon at Halfrauds?

I loathe working on cars but I have been known to swap an engine and gearbox before so I can wield a spanner when pushed to it! :smile:

Hi Kenny, I will do mate but it'll have to be when I get it fitted, currently the exhaust is at my parents as that's where the low rise jack is!

Hi mate,

Very difficult to make just one cut. Because the exhaust is one piece you would have to drag it out over the rear axle. Better cutting at the back box and then either cutting at the right length or undoing the secondary CAT clamp. I ended up taking mine to an exhaust place and cost me 120ish with one break point and slash cut exhaust tips welded on as I hate the wheel barrow look personally.

As for silicon no I dont think so get some off ebay I think

I am only fitting a back box, so it needs cutting to mate to the standard system. I guess it depends whereabouts I need to make the cut in relation to where it goes over the axle.

I assume I can make the cut whilst the exhaust is in situ?

(of course I could ask ktec as I live a 3min drive from them)?

So fitted it today, slight blow on the joint between system and backbox so booked it at a local place to get it on the 4 poster and sort. But all the alignment of the tailpipes is spot on so shouldn't cost me chuff all now to get sorted. So 60% happy with the days work.

It sounds incredible though, I still have the pre-cat, cat and std system which is why I went for the race backbox (thought the sport might be too quiet), and seems to have paid off. Lots of lovely burbles and pops on the over run, nice and deep sounding with no tin or rasp (which I dislike). I am surprised about the depth of volume inside, however there is no 'decat drone' like I have had on other cars so pretty damn chuffed considering I hadn't heard this combo before buying.
[MENTION=2901]Ashton[/MENTION] took a few pics on my phone, not great camera on that I'm afraid.

IMAG0077[1].jpgIMAG0078[1].jpgIMAG0079[1].jpgIMAG0080[1].jpg

Just fitted the racing centre now, epic is all i can say! need to buy some better quality exhaust clamps though (mikalor w4 bands), as the supplied clamps are a bit **** and I have a tiny blow on the cat to centre.

the adapter sleeve at the start of this thread i had to remove to fit the new centre into the back box, but the ****er was stuck hard, took it to a local garage to assist and they must have beat the **** out of the back box end as it was badly misshapen, luckily i had a 1 wide band clamp which has sealed it fine and helped to reshape it, but they charged me £10 to basically beat on bloody expensive back box!

anyway will order a new clamp for the centre part and then it'll be 100%. come resale time though i might take a hit, as to look at it looks a bit bashed around the end, but it seals fine all the same.

will get some vids, but its quite hard because my neighbours will think im a nob if i go out and start revving it on the drive! so not sure how best to film it?

indeed, probably go for the ktec sports cat next, need to check what diamter it is but i think it'll probably slip inside the supersprint centre without any fussing.

i was able to get the SS cat for a better price, but i wasnt prepared to pay close to twice the ktec cat for a 2 year warrnty. ktecs is 299 and a lifetime! almost rude not to.

I'll take it for a spin in a bit, but a mobile phone recording never does justice. I have a dSLR but again only the built in mic, more crucially though no way of driving and recording at the same time. This is the 2nd time this week I have wished humans had a minimum of 3 arms,,,, 2 just doesn't cut it in 2014 anymore. We need more arms ffs.

I'll take it for a spin in a bit, but a mobile phone recording never does justice. I have a dSLR but again only the built in mic, more crucially though no way of driving and recording at the same time. This is the 2nd time this week I have wished humans had a minimum of 3 arms,,,, 2 just doesn't cut it in 2014 anymore. We need more arms ffs.

Hahaha!3 arms!do you not have a phone holder with a suction mount they cheap as chips and not bad footage.:thumbup:

nope and i could do with one as i use sat nav on my phone! it'll have to be audio only :worried: i've got a htc one, the camera is so bad its not even funny, i hope the mic isn't of the same (lack of) quality.