How to unlock car with flat battery

G197

Platinum Member
Hi,

I might be missing something completely obvious but can anyone advise as to how you unlock and get into your car if your battery goes completely dead? I have a cup 197 which has the traditional key but there are no manual key locks on the outside of the door to use if all the electrics are dead.

This has only recently occurred to me because I’m thinking of getting a race battery and as I don’t use the car too often I suddenly thought what would happen if it went completely dead on me.

No doubt I’m being completely daft and there is an obvious answer but at the moment it escapes me! Cheers

There’s a lock on the passenger side behind the trim.
I have an isolator on my race battery. But obviously that means it’s impossible to lock the car.

My 197 with key cards went dead and the doors unlocked. Not sure if that’s whats supposed to happen lol

There’s a lock on the passenger side behind the trim.
I have an isolator on my race battery. But obviously that means it’s impossible to lock the car.

Ah right thanks. I was also wondering how people who had isolators fitted locked their cars. I presume the lock is behind the handle trim on the passenger side?

I don’t think it’s technically possible if the isolator is inside, as you need power to lock the car.
I wouldn’t take that as gospel though.

I think ultimately you’ll be best off just leaving it hooked up and suffering the consequences if it goes flat.

Reactions: Gorka
Ah ok super, thanks. Will probably get a trickle charger for it anyway but good to know if it does go flat one day!

Someone mentioned the other day that you can put power through the side indicators or number plate lights to give enough power to unlock the car if your battery dies.

Never tried it myself though.

If the manual key does not work there is a constant live connection to the starter solenoid so get the positive to it and the negative to the block or gearbox earth then you can unlock the car and jump it direct from the battery. If it is a track car fit an optimate charger lead to the battery and run it somewhere you can get at it like under the wheel arch liner you can pull the panel out with your hand to access it then plug the charger in it will give enough power to unlock or a small motorcycle battery with the right connector fitted can give enough power to unlock. Yea the first is a pain to jack the car up I cant see the light thing working but the number plate light might power the UCH enough to unlock. I had a Williams style 16V Clio that I could not turn the engine off on a filling station forecourt my brother was a Renault service manager so I called him and he told me it was one of the tail light bulbs which it turned out to be.

I was able to jack the car up a little and use a set of jump leads to put the earth on the gearbox and power on the back of the alternator power terminal m8 and on to another battery to unlock it then opened the bonnet to change the battery

Someone mentioned the other day that you can put power through the side indicators or number plate lights to give enough power to unlock the car if your battery dies.

I can confirm this does not work, removed license plate light, 12V on blue wire, mass on the exhaust (checked with multimeter for mass connection).
Tried both with CTEK charger and 12V booster pack. I think the body control module is in the way. Don't trust a regular 12V charger because I don't want to mess up the bcm.

If the manual key does not work there is a constant live connection to the starter solenoid so get the positive to it and the negative to the block or gearbox earth then you can unlock the car and jump it direct from the battery. If it is a track car fit an optimate charger lead to the battery and run it somewhere you can get at it like under the wheel arch liner you can pull the panel out with your hand to access it then plug the charger in it will give enough power to unlock or a small motorcycle battery with the right connector fitted can give enough power to unlock.

Correct but this is a pain in the a** procedure but it will work. For the charger or booster connection in the wheel well (or some other easy access location) I am ordering a relocation kit or maybe a CTEK extension to easy charge the car 125 vs 12.95 EUR:

201808091526461-76ef_1.jpg

iu

First I gotta open the fricking car :poke:

Last edited:
has it not got a cover over the handle on the passenger side covering a normal key access point...:poke:

Reactions: RSRowe
I have that on the left hand drive drivers side, it has no cover..but the keyhole visible, but.......
I have unlocked the car, a friend of mine came over who has opened the car using his "magic" with WD40 and "massaging" the lock.
It was full of crapp, probably never used in 15 years time. he advised to use grafite (chain lube) tomorrow and open the door regularly with the key.
Problem solved and a good word of advice.