Tail gate opens when unlocking car/ sometimes by itself. Possible rain issue?

Hi all, A week or so ago i bought a 2010 200 cup. a few days back, on unlocking, the rear tailgate would also (at the same time) unlock and spring open. I'm not 100% sure if its always whilst its raining or just after but today it also opened the tailgate after the car was unlocked, but it cold have been in conjunction with the re-lock doors function as it was just above walking speed.

I'd appreciate it if somebody could point the way for me.

Dario

I was advised on here to remove the rubber plugs /small strips on on either side of the tailgate latch, assuming they are still there, mine was missing one, and give the inside a good spray of wd40. Cured my similar issue, iam assuming water had got into the mechanism , can't hurt to try it. Hope this helps.

thanks all,

I took the every thing out of the tailgate and liberally sprayed each component with WD40 including the switch connectors, but it was dry inside the tailgate.

we will have to wait and see.

Itll be the boot switch as mentioned. There will be water or corrosion on the switch contacts. Happened to mine last year

Well it be water got in the switch.

Take it out and dry it. If it that not work then better buy a new switch.

It Does make sense for it to be the boot switch, as it must get energised on one side when the central locking is set to open. hey presto.