Hot Oil Smell in Cabin

Phenom

Paid Member
The smell is only there when driving quite hard till I hear the little beep to change gears.
recon-ed engine went in a few months ago to quickly deal with fried rings and constant misfire and thought the smell was just the result of the amount of oil that was getting burnt.

But with the new engine I don't think I'm burning any oil as there is no blue smoke and the oil level is not going down unlike before where I was going through about 2-3 litres a month topping up the oil

But I still get the smell of hot oil in the cabin if I'm driving about 5500 RPM and the higher I go the stronger the smell gets.

I am thinking possibly a blocked breather somewhere?

I've noticed this once myself when hitting the limiter a few times on a warm day with the windows down, I rarely touch the red line and assumed it was because the engine isn't used to it. I'm now wondering if it's common so interested to see what others say... I'll test it again soon for the sake of science. :grinning:

Reactions: Phenom
Here's to hoping... if it's a common occurrence I think we would've heard about it more often due to the amount these cars are used on track.

I should add I did have an oil leak from the camshaft sensor at the time, I don't think any of it was burning off though as it seemed quite happy to pool on the inlet manifold!

Reactions: Phenom
I did have a look around to see if I had any oil leaking from anywhere and couldn't find any, but did find my AC is leaking but its never worked anyway:tearsofjoy: