Horrible noise from steering

Hi there guys,

Very much hope youre all safe and well :smile:

I've has this really really horrible noise coming from something to do with the steering, it also comes and goes which is very strange, but its loud enough and harsh enough that you feel it through the steering wheel and right into your bones haha

I'm hoping this link works, I've never loaded anything onto YouTube before so fingers crossed, and please don't judge that the car is stationary with the engine off, but it will do the same noise while stationary and engine running but hasn't done it yet while driving

I've changed both bottom ball joints, both tie rod ends, both top mounts and the springs look in good nick, got a horrible feeling it will be the rack but wondered if anyone else has had this problem

TIA :smile:

I've read about a few people saying their rack bolts were loose, have you checked these?

Hey Suj, cheers for reply dude! I shall take a look, the car is actually off the road at the mo, waiting for Mick at Diamond to work his magic on it, but can have a look at that! However, not sure if it makes any difference and I forgot to mention in original post, it doesn't always do it in the same place, sometimes doesn't do it at all, and other times it does it loads, it's a weird one

Reactions: suj
Anybody happen to know of any guides for changing the rack just incase I need it? It looks relatively simple, I know about keeping the wheel straight ect when taking the UJ off, but would be nice to have a read of a proper guide so I'm prepared :smile:. Also I believe peeps upgrade to a 200 rack?!

To diagnose it I feel its a spring but turn on the ignition to unlock the steering disconnect the track rod ends from the hubs and you should be able to push and pull the steering through full travel feel for jumps and skips. After that check the top hats are still in the hubs and hand turn each hub full left to right something should show up.

hello mate! great ideas! thanks for the suggestions =), i shall see if i can do that this weekend and report back. i wasnt too sure witht he hubs being swivel hubs, that the springs even moved at all, but guessing they must move alittle left and right? =)

Hey guys, thanks again for the replies. so i took the wheels off today and disconnected tie rod ends and moved it by hand, and the rack itself feels very nice and smooth and easy to move with not a huge amount of effort, so would that indicate the rack is okay? ill be honest while it was up i completely forgot to check the rack bolts to see if they were tight, might try and do this tomorrow, but im guessing the only thing i can really think of is back to the ball joints again, very frustrating! =(