Horrible grinding noise when started.

G8RSH

Winner - POTM April 2018
Parked up outside a shop tonight and turned the engine off, after coming out the shops literally 2 minutes later I started the engine to a horrible grinding/crunching noise? Started perfectly the second time, what could this be?

Thanks in advanced all! :smile:

there have been instances of the starter motors staying engaged when the engine is running....

Silly question here was the car parked nose up on an incline? Mine has mad a horrible noise on a few occasions ( I have a steep drive) only ever done it when I park nose up if I reverse up it doesn't happen. May not even be relevant but worth a thought.

Silly question here was the car parked nose up on an incline? Mine has mad a horrible noise on a few occasions ( I have a steep drive) only ever done it when I park nose up if I reverse up it doesn't happen. May not even be relevant but worth a thought.

Good suggestion but was parked flat, glad to see someone else experience it though. :smile:

there have been instances of the starter motors staying engaged when the engine is running....

Hi, I have this issue at the moment, local Renault dealer can't fix it (been through 3 starter motors!), do you know what the issue was and how it's fixed?

thanks,

Hi, I have this issue at the moment, local Renault dealer can't fix it (been through 3 starter motors!), do you know what the issue was and how it's fixed?

thanks,

all the ones on here have been sorted by fitting new starters...never heard of it being a 3x problem

OK thanks. The dealer did replace the clutch and flywheel 18 months ago so now they are re-visiting that to see if there's an 'issue' with the ring gear on the flywheel.

OK thanks. The dealer did replace the clutch and flywheel 18 months ago so now they are re-visiting that to see if there's an 'issue' with the ring gear on the flywheel.

I never had the problem since touch wood. Hope you got it sorted!

Problem resolved, it was the/a 'UPC board' (part number 8200674661) shorting internally. This is a control box (to use the old fashioned terminology) of sorts that sits between the starter motor (and other things) and the power supply. Seems it was shorting out and causing the starter motor to stay on when it should shut down after starting. They only found it once it started shorting every time power was applied, it had been intermittent.

Now I have blown headlamp so back to the dealer again as replacing that bulb looks to be a nightmare job.

I have this exact same problem. Went to the shops, came out five minutes later, started the car and got the same grinding noise described in the original post. My motor also sticks on after the engine is stopped. Does anyone know if it's a DIYable job or is it best left to my mechanic

The 'board' was more of a box with plugin connections, so assuming you can order one from Renault and you can find out where it is you should be able to remove it and plug the new one in. Whether you have this exact fault though is probably best diagnosed by someone qualified.

The 'board' was more of a box with plugin connections, so assuming you can order one from Renault and you can find out where it is you should be able to remove it and plug the new one in. Whether you have this exact fault though is probably best diagnosed by someone qualified.

How often did you get the noise?

It would happen randomly, with difficulty turning the car off, but then going back to it it would start OK. But then maybe two days later it would happen again. The car went in and out of the dealership 3/4 times before they worked out it was the UPC and not the starter motor.

Just a quick update on this. I've had a new Bosch starter motor fitted along with a new fuse and its working as it should now. Cost £310 all in for future reference.

Yeas, we had refurbished units to start with and then the dealer said 'you need a new one' which again worked for a week then died, but I hope that's not the case for you. :smile:

Just a quick update on this. I've had a new Bosch starter motor fitted along with a new fuse and its working as it should now. Cost £310 all in for future reference.

Jesus that's a lot! How long has it been running without the noise for then?

Its been running fine since Friday. I'm hoping it was just a faulty starter solenoid or something. I could tell the starter motor drive gear was still in mesh with the flywheel as I had a high pitch whine when driving, I didn't really have a grinding noise though until I pressed the start stop button and cut the engine. The starter motor then just continued to run.

I guess I'll find out soon if I do have a problem with the UPC / Body control unit. I'll update the thread with any news.