197: Hit the car off a wall! :-(

Arran

I Love Lamp
Platinum Member
On a car park this evening. Pulled up to the wall, switched the engine off, got out. Got back in, started the engine and went to reverse out, the car park being on a hill. Thought I'd put it in reverse, took the handbrake off with the car on the clutch to go back and it wasn't in reverse, it was in first! :swear:

Bang, hit the wall. Put a load of chips and scratches in the bumper and popped out the 2 top grills at the top. When I got home I took the grills out and I have broken the bumper behind the grills.

Hopefully it can be repaired, but I imagine it'll need some plastic welding (if it can be) and then a respray. Gutted. Car seems to be bad luck. Just as I was getting the car to how I wanted it to be and I do this.

Feel a tool! :thumb1:

Ouch.

Doesn't seem like much consolation but if you're gonna have ding then a small one like this is best. Better a bumper than a door or rear 1/4.

You'll have it better than before soon enough. Gloss the grilles while they're out :thumbup:

:confused1:whats going on first Liam then you Arran hope im not the 3rd
where you going to take it to be fixed???
i blame bank holiday to much driving time lol
hope you get it sorted soon

I've nearly done this too, putting it in first instead of reverse.

At least it won't be too expensive to fix and you hit a wall instead of another car

I'm hoping the bumper can be repaired, but you can't see it, it's just a pain to get the grills nack in and then it's not the sturdiest thing! But the paint is damaged too. Will get some pics up.

If you want to save on costs you might consider removing the bumper yourself, stripping it down and taking it to a bodyshop to be repaired and painted, then reassemble and refit yourself.

Also, rear bumper shells are quite cheap, so depending on the damage / inconvenience it may be worth considering getting a new shell painted and then swapping the grills, fogs, etc. over yourself.

One thing to be aware of though, is if you remove the rubber lip to avoid masking lines, you must be careful, I wasn't and a new one is nearly £90!