High revs - wont go into gear

My gearbox feel pretty good overall apart from being difficult to get into 2nd when cold but never force it and take it this is just how they are.

The main issue I have is when I'm high in the revs and go to change there is alot of resistance and doesn't want to go into gear most predominant is 4th gear.

The gearbox slots into gear just fine at anything below 5-6k rpm.

I have changed the gearbox oil to Fuchs aswell which seems to have helped a little but not cured it.

Could it be the clutch or air in the hydraulics?

if all the other gears are ok and change ok at high revs then most likely its the actual gearbox/4th gear faulty...

if the clutch was faulty it would effect all the gears!

also worth mentioning - make sure you give it full clutch travel when changing gear at high revs - ie hit the pedal stop

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply mate, it happens mostly in 4th bit sometimes struggle with 5th gear aswell. No crunching into gears that people mention though.

Might try changing the gearbox oil again and try to overfill it slightly.

mine was horrid going from 1st to 2nd with some revs on, it just felt like a lot of resistance.

Got a new clutch under warranty and its miles better. Renault said that the clutch fingers were deformed.

I think you might find it's the beginning of failing snychros, mine grinds into 3rd, 4th and 6th and i have the same symptoms you were describing. I only just bought the car (gearbox is about to be replaced under warranty) so I don't know which problem arose first, though.

Myself and a mate have the same issues, well my mate's is sorted now.

It was his gear selector, maybe start there as it's an easy and cheapish job to do.