Cant get into 3rd at high revs sometimes

When im flooring it and go to change from 2nd to 3rd at high revs it wont go in gear sometimes, like something is completely blocking it. I have to let the revs come down a bit for it to go in. It happens rarely this does but what could be causing it? It dont happen when im going into any other gear.

The synchromesh on 3rd gear is probably getting tired, my car doesn't like rushing into 3rd, if you're changing into 3rd at speed either accelerating or decelerating it needs a second or two before it will go into third. Its common with these cars.

I have the same thing with 2nd sometimes, very rarely though. I'm never quite sure if it's me doing something wrong (not pushing the gear stick far enough over) or if it's the car. It's caught me out a couple of times though and usually end up throwing it into 3rd

Mine does the same in 5th at high revs. Really annoying and worrying. Anyone recommend some good gearbox oil to help with this?

also bleed your slave cylinder..there might be some air trapped which could cause these issues...

The later ELF Tranself NFP 75w80 seems like the one to get. Orginally Renault specified Tranself NFJ - which is a semi-synth and generally not very good, it's for 'low-loaded' gearboxes. NFP is fully synth and has a lot better specs including potassium borate which is a nanotechnology, intended for 'super high-loaded' boxes, including the 275 boxes with diffs etc.

Redline MTL seems well regarded, good pour point like NFP but it's a bit high (thick) on the viscosity at temp. Probably good for older/noisey boxes I expect - it would be my second choice for sure, it's a true GL4 so no issues with our brass syncros. But I've just had a rebuild so going with NFP first.

The other one people recommend on here, Fuchs Sintofluid. Well vs NFP & Redline it has worse pour point and sits in the middle of them in viscosity at temp. I think it's interesting that that new NFP vs NFJ is thinner, hence my reluctance to use the Redline or Fuchs as they are both thicker than NFJ, not thinner. Any way there is no compelling reason to by Fuchs, it's either NFP or Redline really.

I actually have Fuchs in my box right now for the last 12-18monts, it made no difference to cold start selection (which is why I changed) and obvioulsy now I've suffered 4th gear synchro failure with it :worried:

Ok good to know. With my synchro already giving me problems, will using good oil and changing frequently prevent it from going completely? Or just delay the inevitable?

Delay, if you're lucky frankly. Basically the syncros wear smooth so if you're getting issues, then the Redline might be the way to go due to being a bit thicker.

Also I've just replaced 3rd and 4th Synchro and the new items were steel not brass (fair amount of myth over if they have been revised or not). Combined with Renault advising the use of NFP over NFJ, I would hope things will improve from a reliability point of view (touch wood!). Though doesn't help the 1000's of old boxes and oil combos out there :worried: