High pitched sound

chapperzuk

Gold Member
I was travelling down the motorway today and started to hear a high pitched sound, then it went away after a few seconds. So I carried on.

Then when driving at around 50mph and steering left slightly, I kept hearing it, but it went away when I straightened up. I noticed after that, when braking to approach a junction it made the same noise slightly.

Anything to worry about or just something on the pads?

Also, if I leave my car parked for a few days... I park on an incline, with the handbrake on (handbrake is quite high in the car) and the car left in gear. I start the engine, release the handbrake and the car doesn't roll back until I accelerate in reverse. Feels like the brakes or something are stuck.

Is this most likely related?

Also, if I leave my car parked for a few days... I park on an incline, with the handbrake on (handbrake is quite high in the car) and the car left in gear. I start the engine, release the handbrake and the car doesn't roll back until I accelerate in reverse. Feels like the brakes or something are stuck.

Is this most likely related?

mine does this after its been raining, ive always thought it was normal

mine does this after its been raining, ive always thought it was normal

The brakes stop me quick enough anyway, so I'm not too worried. I might get them serviced to be on the safe side mind, shouldn't cost too much hopefully.

It's not that hard at all, even I can do it ☺️

You will be looking at around £50 to strip and clean.

It's not that hard at all, even I can do it ☺️

You will be looking at around £50 to strip and clean.

That's not too bad I guess. Problem is, I don't have tools either. I could ask a few mates to see if they could help I borrow me some tools or just pay a local garage.

Will this solve my problem? I've only noticed it today so might see how it goes.

Hard to say, try 3 or 4 heavy breaks from 60 to 5 back to 60 back to 5.

Don't stop and don't lock up. May be something causing the pad to vibrate.

Hard to say, try 3 or 4 heavy breaks from 60 to 5 back to 60 back to 5.

Don't stop and don't lock up. May be something causing the pad to vibrate.

Thanks mate, might give that a try and see how it goes. They're probably due a clean in all fairness. People recommend every 12 months for the 197 I think. It's been about that since a new set of discs and pads were fitted. Only 2 months since the last 12k service though, but not sure if brakes are cleaned during that.

no they are not done during a service.

IF you diy then my tip is to make sure the pads are loose once you push the pistons in on the fronts. Don't pi$$ about when hitting the pins give em a big whack.

If they don't shift then try hitting them in slightly and then back out.

Also a good quality pair of mole grips on them and then hitting the grips round.

once you get that initial movement its easy after that.

I would also swap the pins for the R clip design off mrpink