Hi all, Clio 220 inbound

Hi all,

I'm finally exchanging my Megane 250 Cup for a Clio Trophy after over 5 years of ownership!

CLYRIFP0SncDu06YF8jMdxTy0EPEato-JvoJgVgu_eJa_S3959VjL2YCTuJfLFYq9D0hjelHA-NOyw=w1752-h1164-no.jpg

It's been a fantastic car, but I was itching for something different and with a few big bills due over the next few months/year (pads and discs all round, cambelt and a few other things) I thought now was a good time to switch. I didn't want another Megane since they've barely changed over the years (Renault really did get it right with the MKIII), so I thought I'd try the Clio. Renault Cardiff had a 220 in stock so I had a test drive and was very impressed with it. Just as quiet and easy to live with as the Megane, but with a smaller feel. It was pretty odd to drive a auto after only having driven manuals until now (lets gloss over my accidental left foot braking emergency stop while my foot tried to find the clutch on the test drive!), but it'll be something new to get used to and I'm looking forward to it.

I'm looking at a end of Feb/March delivery date. The car will be Glacier White, with the Trophy seats and RS Monitor. Can't wait!

It'll mostly be my daily driver, with the occasional trackday. I've got a Caterham which I use for trackdays but it's not ideal if the track is hundreds of miles away and pouring with rain!

6pvFVaRsKWbGpJLuTmMLAM5-stjqMOqfAMhI9ZynANysNjCIihZGm2nF3HFwYsk9WWLUqf1pwDXVcg=w1980-h1314-no.jpg

I've read about a few brake cooling issues on the RenaultSport forums, I was wondering if anyone here had experienced anything similar? It'll mostly be a road car so it's not going to be a huge problem for me, but it would be good to know if anyone's found some solutions.

Last edited:
Hi Mate
great news about the 220. You will love it. I've had mine about 5 weeks now and only just got my head around the auto. But using the paddles now all the time to get the feel for those . You won't regret . Enjoy

Enjoy mate and welcome aboard!

Sure you will love it! It will be a lot different to a 250!

Hi all,
I've read about a few brake cooling issues on the RenaultSport forums, I was wondering if anyone here had experienced anything similar? It'll mostly be a road car so it's not going to be a huge problem for me, but it would be good to know if anyone's found some solutions.

if it'll be yours road car then you don't need to worry about that. Brakes performs really well and I'm 100% sure you won't feel any fade on road. :smile:

Thanks guys.

It's always good to hear positive feedback. It's odd how I've only really read positive things about the cars from owners, but the press still seem to be hanging onto the old Clio.

I was actually very impressed by the brakes. There's far more initial bite than the Megane (larger servo I would guess), but it's not too bitey like the VW and Vauxhall cars I've driven (the Insignia has horrible brakes). It actually gives a little more confidence.

I'm hoping to get the car to Silverstone this year (far to many straights for the Caterham!) so any brake advice would be good. I found the fluid in the Megane boiled quickly on my first couple of trackdays so ended up switching to RBF600 and CL5+ pads which completely solved the issue. I wouldn't use the CL5+ again after the friction material delaminated from the backing, but I'd look for something similar for the Clio. I'll stick to the stock setup to start with anyway as I'd need a yardstick to compare to!

sadly cl don't make pads for the t but I believe they already have upgraded fluids in them I'm looking into a brake upgrade now which ill update as needed also I came from a meg 250 and now with some subtle mods prefer the clio over the meg I'm sure give it a bit of time and you will learn to love the Clio lol

:welcome: along

enjoy your smaller car..must be hard having driven nothing else than manuals to get used to auto..left for braking now..

The Clio 220 does looks like a beast of a car! Will hopefully get a test drive of one in a few weeks, out of curiosities sake!

Loving the caterham as your track day car, your right about weather though, not ideal for wet conditions! Few horses more than my Westfield, but the odd trip to Le Mans has taught me that it's best for them sunny days! d946f78716fd54d9771a6631429fe577.jpg

Thanks guys!

Lovely colour there Ross! I've been toying with the idea of having mine sprayed red to get it to stand out a bit more.

It's hilarious how rain affects the speed of a 7 on a track. I did a wet trackday at Pembrey a couple of years back. It was pouring in the morning and I was being passed by everything (mostly French hatchbacks!). When it finally dried up in the afternoon I was overtaking nearly everything. I've got the 7 booked in for a suspension setup next month so I'm hoping that'll give me a little more confidence in the wet too!

I think I'll get used to the auto pretty quickly. I actually think it would suit a car like the Caterham very well, but there's too much of a weight penalty at the moment.

Welcome buddy. Regards the brakes i removed the plastic covers under the front of the car to add in some air flow. I noticed the brakes getting a bit on the warm side when the red caliper paint started melting, but we have been having a few hot days in South Africa and I don't think that helped the issue