Clio 220 or GTI PP/TCR

ashtons99

Gold Member
I’m shopping around, I have a few older Clios and although I’m quite loyal to the brand I’m fancying something about 12 months old. I’d sort of settled on a Golf Mk7.5 GTi with performance pack or even the less common TCR for which I’m looking around £26k- £30k

Last night however I had a quick look at the 220 Trophy, now I’ve not really followed these and can’t seem to find anything newer than about an 18 plate but equally no more than about £17k (10k+ less than I’m looking to spend on a Golf)

The car obviously isn’t as well finished as the Golf and probably not as well equipped if we consider the GTI comes with all the touch screen info systems, slippy diff, dynamic chassis control, active cruise etc but then the price difference is significant. Even an 18 plate PP Golf will probably be £5k more than the Clio

Has anyone been through this at all. I guess the other way to go would be into the new a Megane for a similar price to the GTI

Best bet is probably to drive them both. I had a MK7 Golf R, and it was very good, but not very exciting. It would be interesting to try the GTI, as I wonder if it might feel a bit more lively being FWD only. The MK7 Golf is a very nice car overall though. Comfortable, rides well, nice interior, smart looking etc.

I can't say too much about the Trophy, as I've only driven the 200 EDC, but I wasn't massively impressed. I'd certainly look at the Mégane, as there are some great deals on them at the moment. I'd also recommend trying the Hyundai i30 N Performance too. Really well equipped as standard (more so than any of the cars above). They have a five year warranty too, which even includes track use, so even if you buy one that's a couple of years old, you'll still have three years warranty left. Early ones are under £20k now. I drove one and was really impressed with it. I'd have one over a Golf probably, it was just a bit more exciting.

Your budget seems big enough for a Megane RS. I picked up a liquid yellow 280 in January 2020. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Best advice is to test drive the cars you are thinking of buying and buy the one you like the most.

What a great situation to be in @ashtons99
You can’t compare the Golf to the 220 Trophy, though - they are two very different cars. I have test driven the Megane 280 and 300 Trophy, as well as the i30N and are all in the next level of hot hatch compared to the Clio. Until recently I was going to also try the TCR, I think it’s a brilliant car, slightly more polished than the Megane too. Avoid a PP Golf, they’re just heavy and slow.
Like you, I’m also trying to remain faithful to the brand. The Mk4 Megane and it’s incoming facelift model will be the last hot hatch in petrol form from Renault, so don’t look at anything beyond this!
Being a 220 owner I know a fair deal about them. You won’t find anything beyond an 18 plate. To give you an idea, my 2017 66 plate Trophy with 17k miles is up for £13,500 - a substantial amount for me to ‘trade up’ to a bigger hot hatch, alternatively, a substantial saving of funds if you want another Clio. They are great fun, the gearbox is very good, the upshift farts with the Akrapovic is addictive, and they’re a great everyday car to suit whatever mood you’re in - something I struggled with when I had my Mk3.
I’d seriously recommend test driving one. Mine has Bose, RS monitor and Akrapovic exhaust. The only other option you can get is heated leather, but they’re few and far between. I’d be happy to answer any questions you have about them.

Reactions: Sean197
What a great situation to be in @ashtons99
You can’t compare the Golf to the 220 Trophy, though - they are two very different cars. I have test driven the Megane 280 and 300 Trophy, as well as the i30N and are all in the next level of hot hatch compared to the Clio. Until recently I was going to also try the TCR, I think it’s a brilliant car, slightly more polished than the Megane too. Avoid a PP Golf, they’re just heavy and slow.
Like you, I’m also trying to remain faithful to the brand. The Mk4 Megane and it’s incoming facelift model will be the last hot hatch in petrol form from Renault, so don’t look at anything beyond this!
Being a 220 owner I know a fair deal about them. You won’t find anything beyond an 18 plate. To give you an idea, my 2017 66 plate Trophy with 17k miles is up for £13,500 - a substantial amount for me to ‘trade up’ to a bigger hot hatch, alternatively, a substantial saving of funds if you want another Clio. They are great fun, the gearbox is very good, the upshift farts with the Akrapovic is addictive, and they’re a great everyday car to suit whatever mood you’re in - something I struggled with when I had my Mk3.
I’d seriously recommend test driving one. Mine has Bose, RS monitor and Akrapovic exhaust. The only other option you can get is heated leather, but they’re few and far between. I’d be happy to answer any questions you have about them.

hey gents thanks for your replies. I do appreciate you taking time to throw a few thoughts down.

Just to log a few of my own.

I embarked on looking for a “normal” car as I am losing my Kia Niro due to a change in a dealer friends circumstances, I’ve had every Kia over the last 5 years or so, everyone a joy to drive as a daily driver. I just fancied something a bit more modern hot hatch performance for a change. I have my Clios (200 & 182 Trophy) as well as my Elise but I wouldn’t use any if them as a daily.
I started looking at GTis and sort of arrived at the 7.5PP. I test drove one and really you cannot fail to be impressed with the way they cover ground, the whole package works well, especially with the DSG. I considered the Golf R but for all the reasons owning a performance VW or Audi worries me the R worried me the most. The rate at which these cars are stolen is frightening, likewise the lengths the scrotes will go so to steal them is even more frightening. The thought of my home being ransacked or family threatened just to take a car on the drive does alarm me.
Each time I open Autotrader ads for the Golf the concern nips at me.

That sort of made me re assess what was out there that was a bit different but would provide a bit of driving satisfaction without having my sleep regularly disturbed at the thought of bogeymen on the drive. Hence my pondering over the 220. They seem to be about the right size, I don’t need rear legroom and also if I can keep £15k in the bank that’s a bonus anyway you look at it

i won’t clutter the thread up further but I will message you Micah

Reactions: Micah
I considered the Golf R but for all the reasons owning a performance VW or Audi worries me the R worried me the most. The rate at which these cars are stolen is frightening, likewise the lengths the scrotes will go so to steal them is even more frightening. The thought of my home being ransacked or family threatened just to take a car on the drive does alarm me.
Each time I open Autotrader ads for the Golf the concern nips at me.

Exactly this, even with a TCR I also have the same feeling, so that was putting me off looking into it. It's a 290bhp Golf at the end of the day, not far off the R. A friend of mine at work has one and it hasn't been targeted... yet. I feel it's only a matter of time.
In that respect, a PP 7.5 makes a decent compromise.