Help with winter car :)

Hi guys,

Basically I'm taking my MGF off the road at the end of August till March when the weather starts to pick up again. Whilst its off the road I'll be doing some work to it (sort of a good clean up and some modding) so it'll be in immaculate condition for when it returns to the tarmac in March next year.

So the idea is to buy a car which I can use over the winter months September - March for the foreseeable future which will then go off the road during the summer months so I don't waste my insurance where that'll undergo the same treatment as the MG.

The idea is to use the winter car for some track/hill climb action aswell as being a 'runabout'

So my list of cars so far is:

S2 Peugeot 106 Rallye
Renault Clio 172 cup
MK2 Volkswagon Golf GTI
Peugeot 306 Rallye
BMW 323i
Volkswagon Polo GTI (Year 2000 Shape)
Peugeot 206 GTI 180

Looking at a maximum of 2.5k and reasonable insurance (similar to the MGF if possible)

So come on guys what do you recommend?

Last edited:
Have you seen the 172/182 at Sherwood hall garage? £1995 looks like a bit of a bargain ...

believe it or not I only paid £750 for the MGF and the insurance to swap over to a 172 cup for the last 6 months of insurance left is £50

God that's good Azza thought it would be way expensive

God that's good Azza thought it would be way expensive

I've always done ok on insurance to be fair - only paying £800 for the 200 fully comp with 2 years n-c-b

The MG is on 3 years n-c-b though so it may still work out cheaper yet :smile:

Lol and I moan at my insurance costing me £250

I know but that's the price you pay for being 20 I suppose lol. Can't wait till I get quotes at around £250 mark. Mind you I can get classic car insurance on the MGF next year which will only cost about £300 if that including scrappage rights, agreed evaluation and breakdown cover so quite looking forward to that

My dad only pays £120 a year for a MG ZS 180 V6 and £110 for his MGF VVC with Peter Best

Last edited: