HELP - Are these safe to use?

WEll to cut a long story short a friend of a friend fitted my new alloys yesterday so my car was returned to me like this......

DSC00854_zpsf04a0495.jpg

So I thought great, really pleased until I looked closer and saw this.....

Image4_zps65da08d4.jpg

Both front alloys are like this so is it safe to use these whilst I get them sorted out?

:zomg:No don't use it and those alloys are scrap they have either got the wrong centre bore or pcd

Last edited:
Never seen anything like that before (scary stuff), centre bore of rim looks too small for the hub, did they try to force them on with a rattle gun or something?
I'm guessing by the resultant cracking that they have been driven on?, surely when it was test driven it was evident something was wrong?.
I'd be removing them & returning them asap. Looks like the whole hub section is ready to separate. :zomg:

Last edited:
That is not good chris!!they have been forced in some way for them to crack like that,not very safe me thinks:thumbdown:gutted for you as they look good on your motor.

Sure that center sections hasnt been fixed before hand??? Not only that, surely your mate could feel that it was tight going on??

The spigot on the hub is too long for the inside of the wheel. You would have needed spacers to fit them wheels.

Whoever fitted them doesn't care about your safety, they'd have heard the bang as the wheel cracked from tightening it on.

Check the threads of the bolts once the wheel is removed to make sure they aren't stripped or damaged.

that looks dangerous! hope you get it sorted out soon. Go to fit them somewhere else once you've got the new rims, looks like a very unprofessional job!!

The spigot on the hub is too long for the inside of the wheel. You would have needed spacers to fit them wheels.

Whoever fitted them doesn't care about your safety, they'd have heard the bang as the wheel cracked from tightening it on.

Check the threads of the bolts once the wheel is removed to make sure they aren't stripped or damaged.

this^^^^^,the spigot on the front sticks out further than the spigot on the rears so this will be the reason for the fronts cracking and the rears being ok,i honestly can't believe the person that has fitted them hasn't said anything and given you the green light to use your car with the wheels in that state,i also can't believe he didn't notice they didn't fit correctly before bolting them up,is he a retard or something,thats shocking

i'd honestly be banging heads,he could have killed you and others

Last edited:
Just been to see my mate and he going to go round to see the guy who fitted them tomorrow and ask what the hell happened and demand he pay for two new wheels. So what do I need to do to get the fronts to fit once I get the 2 new alloys?

Thanks everyone so far, it's been a stressful two days lol

as said you could use a spacer but the wheels look pretty well spaced as is,you could always grind a bit off the spigot,iirc it sticks out around 18mm but that seems a bit extreme as when you change your brake discs you'll need to grind/machine the spigot again on the new ones

does anyone know why the spigot sticks out so far? surely its only there to locate the wheel central so a 10mm spigot would have done

Get a vernier out and measure the depth of the spigot recess in the wheel and the length of the spigot on the hub. Then you'll need spacers to bring the length of the spigot on the hub to the same as that of the recess.

For example if the hub length is 15mm but the recess in the wheels are only 10mm you'll need 5mm either side minimum

you'll get away with using non hubcentric spacers in this case as the spigot on the hub is so big so it will still centralise the wheel,i'd advise whatever spacers you fit to the front you fit to the rear as well or you may c0ck the handling up

when you fit spacers they generally cover the spigot on your hub so a hubcentric spacer has a new spigot on it so the wheel still has something to locate centrally on,hubcentric spacers are expensive but as you'll only need a small ish spacer you'll get away with the cheapo type as your spigot will still protrude through,

as said before chris you'll need to measure up to see what size spacers are required,measure the spigot on the hub and the depth the spigot is allowed to travel into the wheel and go from there