helllppppp please

What is better, an intercooler or charge cooler???? I'm debating on what one to go for, for this megane conversion

A chargecooler is much smaller and generally lighter and reduces the lag you often get when putting a large intercooler in place. However, they're more complicated and rely on water being pumped around to work.

An intercooler is a just a big radiator, which is way cheaper to impliment and never goes wrong. The bigger you go the more lag will be introduced... so choose wisely. A too smaller intercooler with have heatsoak on long full throttle runs. You can buy cheap generic intercoolers off ebay which will do the job just fine, although will have to make the pipework and elbow bits up yourself.

I would personally go for an intercooler solution... the last thing you want is more complexity under the hood... maybe you can retro-fit the megane one to reduce costs?

Rich

yup, exactly what he said!

Intercooler would be my choice also, again due to being a simpler solution.

Chargecoolers are more expensive in parts, take longer to install and less reliable.. I can't think why a tuner/garage would advise you to fit one... :wink:

As I said, a chargecooler should by design have a touch less lag, so may be closer to the responsive NA experience, which may be why its preferred by them.

I would still maintain, with the right sized intercooler there will be still low lag, much cheaper, similar and more reliable.

Last edited:
Yip defo go for a intercooler, I had a charger cooler in my focus RS and the pump was always packing up and a new pump was £550 fae ford,