Heat from exhaust

Hi!

I was taking a tour today on a nice "snake" road, unfortunately only 12km long but still fun for the Clio. The 10km home was on a regular road within normal speed limits.
When I unpacked the luggage compartment, (only a cardboard box), I felt that the carpet was kind of warmish. I removed it and the insulation down to the metal and the body work was so warm it was impossible to lay the hand upon it :confused1:

Is this normal, anybody experienced the same thing?

Grateful for answers before I tear the diffuser down:worried:

I know the exhaust gets very hot, but I have never experienced this. See what others on here say before doing any major investigations though!

My Dad's Jag XJ6 had exhausts either side of the boot in purpose built tunnels, so they were out of the normal airflow under the car. When going on holiday, by the time we'd get there and open up our suitcases, our clothes would be so warm it'd be like they'd just come out of the tumble drier!

I'd not worry.

yep normal - it will get slightly hotter once you have stopped as there is no air flowing around it to cool it so the heat will "soak" in to the surrounding areas !

I found this also on the 200 when packing up after the RS trackday at Silverstone. But then, there wasnt much on the car that wasnt hot then lol.

yeah normal mate i make sure i drive like a granny with shopping in the boot for this reason. there is no proper heat shield under the boot.

Noooo,

You want this stuff, comes in massive squares although it'd be a backbox off and line the bootfloor job..
http://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/dei-cycle/insulating-materials/reflect-cool

It's dead easy to use, I used the gold version to do my intake... remains cold to the touch no matter how hard you batter it.

5660_113391920795_611430795_2678771_3024617_n.jpg

thats expensive and i see u have done ure cold air feed there good idea. the wrap u need about 100 ft

The silver matting I linked isn't too bad, £50 or so for a 3footx4foot piece...it'll certainly reduce boot temps, but it's a lot of effort to go to and does it really matter that much??

The gold stuff well, yes it isn't cheap but thankfully I didn't pay for it - it fell off my mate's race car.

The Golf seems to have a lot more room for 'stuff' under the bonnet, if you can just make it out there's a sealed-ish airbox which is fed both by the OEM grill vent and unseen is a pipe via the fog opening... basically ramming air into a closed box giving really dense, cold goodness.

Looking at the design of the Clio's kit, it appears pretty tight in there and sucking in a fair bit of warm air. What do people do??

I don't know much about Renault's ECU, but with VAG you can live log the flow through the MAF - so you can see if what you've done has actually had any effect? This set up increased flow and lowered intake temps by some considerable margin. Is this the case with the Clio, can you buy the software to play with stuff like this??

Last edited:
When I was on track day, the heat from cat area melted black insulation , and now is all soft and sticky :huh:

Okay, thanks a lot for the quick answers.
It saved me a lot of work, was kind of worry yesterday and almost started to take down the diffuser to see if there were any holes on the muffler pointing upwards.

At the same time you start to wonder if there could be some fire hazard with it when driving on a track for a whole day, (haven't been out with mine yet), on the other hand I've never heard or seen anyone having problem with it except melted EPP-inserts in the boot and some melted bitumen matt.

Anyway, thanks guys!