Hankook Evo 2

+1 here..excellent in the wet i have to say..
depends on your budget..there are better tyres out there but again..comes down to your funds

Contisport 5 XL's here.

3rd in this years AutoExpress test with 4 category wins inc top dry handling and top wet handling, and 2 runners up....let down by poor rolling resistance (Fuel economy).

All the results are here [Click on any tyre on the left for that tyres reviews]:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/91861/continental-contisportcontact-5-review
I'm running the same and think they're great. If the fuel economy worries people probably better to buy a diesel :wink:

I'm running the same and think they're great. If the fuel economy worries people probably better to buy a diesel :wink:

They won overall last year and were third this year; winning 4 and finishing runner up in another two categories. So top 2 in 7/10 of the tests. Only failing in rolling resistance and cabin noise to give them third place. They still therefore top the charts in out and out pure 'rubber on road' performance im sure.

As you say; if 3% fuel economy is an issue and a bit of extra cabin noise (Suspect many users have filter, exhaust / induction or are at high revs often anyway !) i'm not sure a 197/200 is the correct weapon of choice :smile:

Dry i love mine - wet they are epic. ***I'v often been forced to accelerate and overtake a few cars around the outside in the aid of safety.......and they cling on to grip for death.

Top be fair - i have little experience of this car with other tyres on. But have driven / owned many brisk cars with quality rubber and these are up there amongst the best. Whatever the reviews say, and whatever the prices - i will be replacing like for like if at all possible.

Each to their own though.

Reactions: Big Ben and Gordini
The continental tyres are also nearly £100/corner. Where's is the tyre the op asked about are the £70 price mark and eagle f1s are £80-£85. As Pav said, there is always going to be a better tyre, just depends how much you want to spend (or how much you can afford to spend). The op did ask for tyre in that price band.

The continental tyres are also nearly £100/corner. Where's is the tyre the op asked about are the £70 price mark and eagle f1s are £80-£85. As Pav said, there is always going to be a better tyre, just depends how much you want to spend (or how much you can afford to spend). The op did ask for tyre in that price band.

I paid nothing like £100 a corner Chris. From memory £140 or £150 for two fitted.

I paid nothing like £100 a corner Chris. From memory £140 or £150 for two fitted.

That's good value then. I just looked on several places and couldn't see any cheaper than about £95. I wasn't having a go, just seen it happen before and all sorts of brands get suggested some of which are lots of money.

Nice for the op to have lots of options of decent tyres being recommended. Is what forums are here for :thumb:

Reactions: sevenfourate
That's good value then. I just looked on several places and couldn't see any cheaper than about £95. I wasn't having a go, just seen it happen before and all sorts of brands get suggested some of which are lots of money.

Nice for the op to have lots of options of decent tyres being recommended. Is what forums are here for :thumb:

No offense taken at all. I knew i paid around £150 or less from my normal local garage for a pair (Didn't ask price either - so it appears they did me no special deal or price-matched etc).

I didn't see £300 for 4 as that expensive for a performance orientated car - hence i chimed in with my suggestion.

To be fair the OP also doesnt state his price-range in pounds and pence, so its hard to know exactly what his budget / range is. As we've just discovered: prices do vary !

I can confirm the Conti's can be picked up reasonably. I paid £78 per tyre for larger 225/40R18's. They were as cheap as any decent brand.

I can confirm the Conti's can be picked up reasonably. I paid £78 per tyre for larger 225/40R18's. They were as cheap as any decent brand.

Perhaps as 225 is a more common size...

No offense taken at all. I knew i paid around £150 or less from my normal local garage for a pair (Didn't ask price either - so it appears they did me no special deal or price-matched etc).

I didn't see £300 for 4 as that expensive for a performance orientated car - hence i chimed in with my suggestion.

To be fair the OP also doesnt state his price-range in pounds and pence, so its hard to know exactly what his budget / range is. As we've just discovered: prices do vary !

No I know, I just looked into it perhaps a bit too much! £300 for 4 is reasonable, but these cars have become more available to people with lower budgets (not suggesting that about the op). Is a bit of a problem really with the cars coming down so much as they do cost a lot to maintain/run.

Reactions: sevenfourate
Perhaps as 225 is a more common size...
Exactly, 225/18's are fairly common now. However, they were still about the cheapest in this size, only cheaper options were names I've never heard of. The Ford Galaxy I used to have cost about double this!

It was 4-5 months ago. Think they're a similar price still. Excellent value for money imo