Gearbox woes, what did you do with yours?

my gearbox makes a slight crunch from 3rd to 4th, after tralling this site and the net this seems to be fairly common, mine is a 59 reg so would assume is out of warranty.

What have people done to get theirs fixed?

Hello matey,

This occurred to me last Friday, get a horrible crunch going into 4th from 3rd sometimes and the same going down from 5th to 4th.

I'm going to be buying a gearbox from Ebay and getting the guys who I use for work to fit it along with all the other bits I will need.

I'm on the understanding that you will need a TL4024 geabox like in this HERE

I would say roughly if you are looking to get this all done that around the £1,000-£1,100 mark is what you will be likely paying.

£360 for labour
£354 gearbox
£115 clutch
£95 slave cylinder
£30 oils
= £954 + VAT

I've read quite a lot on the gearbox problem with many people having warranty work done.

Does anyone have proven root cause or had box failure as a result of the symptom?

You obviously don't NEED to get the clutch done, but it makes sense.

If yours is low mileage, i might not bother. But if it's like 30/40k+, i would anyway.

Yeah mines 50k so would make sense, I bought the car with a 2 years extended warranty and they will pay upto £1000 per job, so shouldn't cost me too much

Happened to my 197 last year. Crunch going into 4th. Only cure is new box or fix the syncro. Had a warranty like you when got the car and had to pay £400 but the bill was over a grand so not too bad. The gearboxes are crap in these cars and I believe they are same box as used in all clios so putting it in a car with 200bhp is gonna end in tears!

my gearbox makes a slight crunch from 3rd to 4th, after tralling this site and the net this seems to be fairly common, mine is a 59 reg so would assume is out of warranty.

What have people done to get theirs fixed?

Mine was out of warranty by 6 weeks, they go on your and the cars renault history.

i got 85% contribution and a free clutch leaving me to pay £220, granted i've spent a decent amount with renault but if you don't ask you don't get.

Hello matey,

This occurred to me last Friday, get a horrible crunch going into 4th from 3rd sometimes and the same going down from 5th to 4th.

I'm going to be buying a gearbox from Ebay and getting the guys who I use for work to fit it along with all the other bits I will need.

I'm on the understanding that you will need a TL4024 geabox like in this HERE

I would say roughly if you are looking to get this all done that around the £1,000-£1,100 mark is what you will be likely paying.

i've used them and they are brilliant to deal with. I'd ring them up tho and ask for a bit off to do it over the phone, they save 10-15% not going via ebay and paypal.

My Clio was on ~75k and had no gearbox issues at all. I always drove it hard assuming the box would break eventually but thankfully it never did!

Bought the Panda and within 5k of me getting it it was starting to crunch going 2-3rd at high revs (was on 36k when it started). Bought a second hand box for £75 and clutches are about £60. £120 to fit and £30 on Redline MTL. I'm glad it's gone on this car and not the last one!

Why doesn't my gearbox break down god damn it???? Please break down!! So as I can have the one with the revised ratios fitted, free of charge of course:wink:

Mine was out of warranty by 6 weeks, they go on your and the cars renault history.

i got 85% contribution and a free clutch leaving me to pay £220, granted i've spent a decent amount with renault but if you don't ask you don't get.

i've used them and they are brilliant to deal with. I'd ring them up tho and ask for a bit off to do it over the phone, they save 10-15% not going via ebay and paypal.

Bought mine private so won't get a penny from Renault. Tbh as long as it gets fixed and fixed well I don't really mind what the cost is