Gearbox finally getting replaced [*Now Replaced*]

Matt197

South West Rep
Just got a call to say Renault has approved the replacement of my gearbox and it is now on backorder, going to give me a courtesy car, did not have to ask either :thumbup:

Only taken a year when it first started happening for it to be finally replaced, just glad its getting sorted now and I'm happy with the dealer.

Wonder if it will be a 200 box.

Last edited:
Nice one Matt thats great news, good to get the result in the end however it should not take 12 months FFS.

I got a 200 box so maybe you will too :smile: great result mate, wish mine was that easy.

I got a 200 box so maybe you will too :smile: great result mate, wish mine was that easy.

Is it worth putting a 200 box in the 197? Any advantage to gain? or should i just stick with what i've got?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a call to say Renault has approved the replacement of my gearbox and it is now on backorder, going to give me a courtesy car, did not have to ask either :thumbup:

Only taken a year when it first started happening for it to be finally replaced, just glad its getting sorted now and I'm happy with the dealer.

Wonder if it will be a 200 box.

Great news!
Mate sorry to make you repeat yourself but what is the fault / symptoms?

I have issues with mine too.

I am so happy that things are finally going in the right direction,

Ye I know Maz, its crazy but I had to wait for it to get worse before they would do anything about it :tongueout:anic:

Is it worth putting a 200 box in the 197? Any advantage to gain? or should i just stick with what i've got?

No point unless your gear box is fudged.

Great news!
Mate sorry to make you repeat yourself but what is the fault / symptoms?

I have issues with mine too.

No problem.

Started of when changing down to 3rd from 5th and 6th gear it would crunch, then a few months later it started crunching when going past 3.5k revs when changing from 2nd to 3rd gear.

Sucks, because when its replaced I am going to be to scared to give it some in case the new gearbox does the same.

"Sucks, because when its replaced I am going to be to scared to give it some in case the new gearbox does the same"
its under warrenty mate

Oh dear sounds like a more serious version of my issue but the dealers (2 so far) say it's not bad enough yet to fault. My warranty runs out in January though so I'm a bit worried.
Anyway I'm glad you got a result!

mine was clunking in every gear and the clutch was slipping. turned out it had a small clutch fluid leak. I had a major warranty battle after being quoted £600+ for labour and no guarantee it would be covered under warranty.

eventually they gave in and they swapped the box and my friend put an uprated clutch in.

Well done. Mine going in tomorrow for it to be looked at. I will not accept 1 year wait as it sound like it will fall out before long, the crunching is painful

"Sucks, because when its replaced I am going to be to scared to give it some in case the new gearbox does the same"
its under warrenty mate

Ye I know Roy but I cba trying to get it replaced again lol

I suppose I have 10 months warranty left so if I start my complain as soon as the new ones fitted :smiley:

Oh dear sounds like a more serious version of my issue but the dealers (2 so far) say it's not bad enough yet to fault. My warranty runs out in January though so I'm a bit worried.
Anyway I'm glad you got a result!

Get it looked at mate, brand new gearbox from Renault is not cheap.

what was the complaint or warranty code for this issue? might be we all can go get it done... :smiley:

hehe not a clue, but a little bird told me its a recognised fault and is on the system, but I did not tell you that!

Well done. Mine going in tomorrow for it to be looked at. I will not accept 1 year wait as it sound like it will fall out before long, the crunching is painful

Good luck mate, keep us posted on how you get on :thumbup1:

Do they actually fit 200 boxes, i thought they just put the update box into them?

I had a box replacement and it only had the update box :S

Mine being replaced this week under warrenty! could not believe there was no resistance to the claim :smile:

Well done mate, that's fantastic news. Just hope they have the gearbox in stock and not keep your car until one arrives.

Mines on backorder so god knows how long it will take to arrive.

Hi chaps,
I was just about start my own thread when I saw this one!

I have had the same problem with my 200 from new. First it started with a sort of whirring noise when changing from 2nd to 3rd and was very clunky. So sent it in and they said nothing was wrong get on with it! And that was after 2k or 3k miles. Then it started crunching... Only in higher rev range though when going into 4th. Didn't matter if going up from 3rd or down from 5th or 6th! Again took it in and told nothing was wrong just me being to 'protective'!!! Then the missus started to notice it when was driving and she mainly stays in lower revs... I thought it they are gunna have to pull there finger out their bum holes and do something now; which they did! They changed the gearbox oil to see if that would make a difference. Guess what... It didn't!!! Once again it went back in and I really kicked off and said don't give me it back till it's sorted. Then the next day I gets a phone call."hello mr. ....... We have found a fault and we are going to replace your box with a brand new one under warranty"... Result!
Works a treat now. No crunching etc bit stiff when cold but at least I'm not scarred of changing gear now!

Morle of the story... Keep complaning till something gets sorted!

Just got a phone call today to say the gearbox has arrived so the car is booked in tomorrow and it will take 2-3 days for it to be replaced.

If all things go to plan I should have my car back by Friday.