Gearbox failure

Doug6488

Platinum Member
Well my rs200 has just been diagnosed with the dreaded 4th gear syncro mesh problem. It's only done 24k.

Been in talks with the garage who sold me it and it's been put to the warranty company to see if they will cover it.

It's been estimated at circa £1100 to fix [emoji47].

It's never been driven hard or tracked and if I'm lucky does 50 miles a week.

What's the chances the warranty will cover the full price?

Would imagine their entitled too. Gearbox shouldn't be classed as a "wear and tear" part.

Had my 3rd and 4th syncro's changed under warranty at exact same 24k. Glad it did as the gear box refurb was £500 plus then the labour of taking it in and out.

Well had the garage and warranty company on the phone today and they are both going to pay half the repair. Instead of fixing the syncro they are putting in a new gearbox with no cost to me unless I want to renew the clutch.

Well had the garage and warranty company on the phone today and they are both going to pay half the repair. Instead of fixing the syncro they are putting in a new gearbox with no cost to me unless I want to renew the clutch.

Favourable outcome for you. No point replacing synchros as the gear oil is probably contaminated anyway. You going to splash out on a new clutch?

ive had a couple of times when i cant change into 1st or reverse,i bought it down to car being cold but am i experiencing the first part of a gearbox problem?car has done 35 thou,and only gets used at night and at weekends.

They're generally rough tough to get into first when they are cold. Is always worth waiting for the car to warm up a bit if you can. Wouldn't say it's the first sign of gearbox failure, although a box oil change might help.

Generally you don't get much warning when they go.

cars under warranty till june,then im thinking about taking extended warranty out incase of any problems,so should be covered if it does go in the future.

Well the car goes in this Tuesday to renault. Also opted to change the clutch at just under £400 [emoji47]. Will also be getting a courtesy car, wonder what it will be [emoji87]

They're trying to make a few £££ back on them going halves by the sounds of it. You should only be paying for the part. £200 at the most??

I will be asking to see the invoice before they start the work anyway. That's price region of uprated clutches.

I would. They're taking the utter piss with that price.

It's an extra half hours labour.

Will defiantly be questioning the price when it goes in.

Do it before.

Tell them to shove it and get it yourself and watch them put the clutch in so they can't arse you around.

I don't go to any garage or company because of this, I don't trust people. I have a mechanical mate with pretty much knowledge of everything and a poop load of tools and gear along with a lift. Always good to have a mate.