Garage tool suggestions / advice

MattP

Paid Member
Question:

I’m getting a bit more handy and starting to enjoy it. What I don’t enjoy is mucking about with spanner’s and inadequate tools

I guess what I’m asking is: what battery powered impact driver would you recommend for a Clio owner for removing wheels, brakes and the odd something else?

what socket sizes do you always need on a Clio?

Anything else worth having that you always need?

any advice or links welcome!

I ummed and arred about an impact driver, in the end I went for the DeWalt DCF899N, it's got 950NM of torque and 1625NM of breakaway torque, it's a proper powerhouse and I'm glad I got it. I got body separate and 2x 5ah batteries with a charger, it cost £180 for the lot.

Example of the body.

I also got a really cheap electric ratchet wrench for like £35 off eBay, it has like 60NM torque, but it's more for saving wrists of undoing things once they've cracked off / tightening on threads, together they've saved me so much time and effort, I wish I bought them earlier to be honest.

PS this is the Ratchet I got (but for £35)

It was 85NM (don't take that too seriously, probably more like 50 lol) but like I said earlier it wasn't for the torque, it was for getting stuff off once cracked off.
If you get one, get one like that with a metal pivot handle, as it's nicer to hold than the button type and better control of the pressing of the button.

EDIT, mine came with 2 batteries too! So prices have gone up, I guess this Coronavirus has affected it, it did come from China.

Reactions: MattP
I have a basic Halfords socket set, 100pc I think? Cost me £60 or so years ago in the black Friday deal and it's done me well. I've lost a couple bits but I've also bought random bits and bobs along the way like torx sockets/hex drives etc etc!

Bought a cheap Lidl/parkside impact which was also £60 but has turned out to be a proper bargain. Came with 4 sockets, battery, body, adjustable torque setting etc (which I don't fully trust to be accurate. But it thinks 400nm and it certainly feels good!) I usually use it for when I've loosened off bolts & nuts and then I just blip them the rest of the way with this

I find that 18mm is quite common on the Clio, engine mount bolts and subframe bolts are all 18's, wishbones etc. Couple 13's here and there. Rear beam is held in with 16's.

An 8mm square drive is very handy to have. Can pick up a 3/8 one from Halfords for a couple quid. Used for both the sump plug & gearbox drain plug.

I also bought a breaker bar off Amazon for about £12 I think which was well worth the investment. Something like 450mm long and it makes undoing wheel bolts a breeze (especially after those garages that buzz wheel bolts on)

1/2" torque wrench from machine mart also well worth the investment for all subframe bolts/wheel bolts etc! £30 or so for a Clarke one and I have a 3/8" one off Amazon for a similar price which I use for the lower torque settings.

Best thing I've ever bought though was a decent jack! Used to mess around for ages with a cheap Halfords one which didn't fit under the car. Bought a draper one at autosport international for £109 which was a bargain. Can get the car in the air within minutes!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MattP and suj
Yep talking about general tools, i'd say the Halfords kits are such a great starting point (I still use many of my tools from it, I bought it in 2007ish).
Thing with working on cars yourself, you end up just adding to bits as you go, the amount of money i've saved by working on cars over the years saves you so much.

Like Lewis said, a good starting point
* Halfords kit
* Breaker bar
* Ratchet spanners are optional but very useful
* Trim removal tools (good for any of those push type clips, like arch liners for example)
* Torque wrench for wheels (I have 2, a bigger range for stuff like wheels and a smaller range for stuff like spark plugs etc)
* A good set of hex sockets (deep and shallow), as from what I remember the Halfords kit has multihex, more likelihood to round bolts / nuts
* Jack + axle stands (I have an Arcan 2 tonne jack I got about 11 years ago from Costco, Aluminium low level, I paid £60, it has been on so many trackdays with me, been to Nurburgring with me 5 times, mates have used it, I have used it, when I spannered for my mate in MX5 championship, still works great!)

That's probably a good starting point with an impact wrench as I posted originally (I really wish I bought this many years back!).

Ah yeah as above ratchet spanners are another investment worth buying!

I bought the halfords set for £55 and I love it. I also bought their 'swan neck' or offset spanners. (Can't think what they're called) but they're also well worth the money. Useful for things like top mounts etc.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Reactions: suj
Get a good impact gun (Milwaukee, De Walt etc), it will save you the heartache of a crap one. Hand tools, buy a decent set of spanners and a socket set. Anything in between that can be Halfords etc.

Reactions: suj and MattP
halfords advanced set there lifetime warranty is great. I've took loads of broken bit back and they replace them no questions asked. I use to use alot of snap-on years ago but there over priced and there warranty isn't what it use to be to the point now I would say 85% of my hand tools are halfords.

Reactions: MattP
I'd agree with most of the above. One thing my Dad always used to say is that there's no real substitute than the right tool for the job.
I'd certainly agree with the DeWalt rattle gun.. Get good quality tools & look after them. The Hellfrauds professional / advanced range are very good value for example. I'd suggest impact sockets to use with the rattle gun - they'll also have the advantage of being a single hex, so significantly less chance of rounding the nut/bolt. You'll also need TORX bits all over the car ~& here I'd suggest a selection of Torx bits (you can get impact versions, though not always necessary on a car) and a magnetic bit driver and a stubby version. A decent jack, suitable axle stands & something to lie on when wriggling around under your machine.

single hex/impact sockets a must especially on older cars were rust is on the bolt heads etc

This is something that is so overlooked, so many bolts are rounded due to using multipoint hex sockets, it seems like it's the companies norm to sell these!
I always try and use hex where I can, but i've been working on old cars since I was little, so kinda ingrained in me.

Reactions: Foxspeed
Yep exactly that, good 6 points have better surface contact point on the bolt or nut, but a 12point will always have a smaller surface contact point, so it can allow slippage, which over time or on an already old bolt cause damage leading to rounding.

12 point has pros, as in easier to align on tighter areas where you cannot get enough arc on your ratchet etc. But then as mentioned above can have many cons.

I think investment in some good 6point hex sockets will pay itself off in annoyance, let alone getting tough bolts off.

Then with impact sockets, you 100% want hex there, due to the high torque of the guns etc, you're just asking for trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: lewishunter98
A rattle gun is a great piece of kit, but not essential when you're beginning to tool up.. They can shear bolts in a heartbeat. They're great timesavers of you're swapping all 4 wheels for example & against the clock.
Stick with hand tools to start with.