Fuel Guage on my 197

Anyone have any clues on whether my fuel guage if faulty or the sender in the tank.

Problem, gauge showing three quarters full, put fuel in and it only took 3.5 ltrs right to the point of overflowing Guage showed just over three quarters. Done about 25 miles and guage now dropped to just below three quarters. So it's working but doesn't show full like it use to.

Working fine up until yesterday.

Pete.

Last edited:
Iirc someone once said it it can be the earth lead the connects to the rocker box or something I think?

I would say it mayb the sensor in the sender unit, as i was told that theres a sensor in the sender that checks the level upon ignition and then the trip computer works out the level as you use it.

hi there,
sometimes putting small amounts of fuel can confuse the fuel sender, instrument panel into reading wrongly,i know there is a command on CLIP (renault diagnostic tool)which will rest this, i dont know if other types of diagnostic tooling can do this but well worth a try before going further

regards chris

small amounts do confuse the sender/guage also i noticed if you leave the ignition on say your lass is listening to music it doesn't add the new amount to gauge had to pull battery for 10 min's to reset mine

Thank's for all your replies. I have been putting small amounts of fuel in so i'm going to pull the batt and see if that helps.

Pete.

Disconnected batt for 20 mins, reconnected and gauge now shows full. Thanks to Cooper666 for the suggestion on pulling the batt - it worked.

Pete.

Similar Thread Suggestions