Fuel Economy Query

Hi All,

I have noticed recently my fuel economy has dropped slightly. So I looked into it. It started at 31mpg crusing at 70 with cruise control. So I pumped my tyres up to 32 psi. This helped and it is now at 33 ish. But I used to get atleast 35. What could have caused this? I did change to dunlop Sportmaxx could that have done it? I highly doubt it. Then had the idea it could be thermostats or temp sensor being out? Could it be one of these? I have checked my exhaust and by other people and I can confirm it is not this. So any advice really.

I have it booked in at 519 for belt change so if it is anything I or they can check please let me know.

Thanks for your feedback

Cold weather can effect fuel consumption, cold dense air needs more fuel
You've probably noticed an increase in performance too?

colder overall temperatures and running that bit longer to get to temperature...can have a noticeable effect on mpg

Are the tyre pressure not higher than 32 in the front tyres. From memory 34 up front and 31 at the rear are the recommended pressures from Renault.

I run semi slicks, I've been running 31F 28R, now the winter has set in and I can't get the tyres up to temp, I'm running 34F 32R, so I've used the tyre pressures to compensate, still dropped in mpg.

It's 35/35 for Motorway I thought.

Have you checked your brakes recently? It's possible you've got a sticky pad/caliper. That will easily cause a MPG drop. I've noticed my MPG go up after stripping/cleaning mine in the past (if I've been a bit naughty and left them too long between cleaning)