Fuel cat systems?

Whilst at trax last week i got speaking to the fuel cat salesman about using it for an unleaded conversions for a capri project.

He happened to mention that the fuel cat can be used on modern petrol cars to give an octane boost of 2 to 3 points and the unit will last upto 250,000 miles. He assured me imported jap cars run the same system so they can use 95ron fuel.

So my thought is, obviously when running nos i always use the highest octane i can ( usually 98ron fuel + millers octane booster ) so theoretically i could use std 95ron fuel with this and be getting 98ron in the engine.

Has anyone had any experiences of opinions with this fuel cat system and its reliability??? dont want to risk my engine on a gimmick!

For those who dont know what it is, simply its an inline filter for your fuel line before the fuel rail and the internal 'tablets' react with the fuel as it passes and conditions it with a higher ron.
engine1.jpg

exactly what are these tablets made from that can "increase" octane rating of fuel ??

put it this way - when i worked in my engineering job we were always approached by these type of companies - our policy was - take it to an independant testing facility ie millbrooke and get them to test it and varify the claims..........we never got any come back to us !

but on another note there was something similar used on ww2 spitfires i believe to boost the poor quality fuel due to iirc the supercharged v12 merlins losing to much power otherwise

Last edited:
I bought 1 at trax it will be fitted in the "flow" fuel line. I thought worth a try its only a matter of replacing the fuel hose is its crap.

I bought 1 at trax it will be fitted in the "flow" fuel line. I thought worth a try its only a matter of replacing the fuel hose is its crap.

Woody where did you get your forged internals from? i cant find any for the 197 block?

and im allowed to go off topic cos its my thread :tongueout:

Are they standard compression?

I was meaning to catch you about at trax mate but missed out, alot i wanted to discuss with ya buddy. Spoke to your megane mate at camping, he has good things to say about your car too.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Clio-Sport-RS-...es_CarParts_SM

this is the kit i bought. yes its standard low compression thats y i went supercharged and not turbo'd otherwise i would have to have high compression and new pistons lol

i think its 8:5:1 dont know whether it says on that link

having trouble starting from cold at the minute because of the 403's

sorry that links a duff link wont let me post cus its not on the bay anymore

Pistons:-
Part No: K9136
Compression Ratio. 8.5:1
Bore Sizes: 82.70mm* (STD) & 83.00mm*
Piston Weight: Approx 280 Gr

Just another poxy gimmick to me mate... as foxspeed says, wouldnt trust it as far as i could throw it unless it was tried tested and prooven by a trusted third party.

It really does my head in when companys rattle on about their brillaint product on how it will make you car do 90 to the gallon with a 400% power increase and your sex life will improve.

The Import thing is a load of ****e too, ive owned imports for many years and theyre fine on 95RON... the knock sensor just pulls things back a bit as a result (ok it does loose a small amount of top end power), all you have to do is run them on Super or have them mapped to cope with UK regular unleaded and theyre fine, besides, Japanese fuel is 101RON so you will never catch up with that!

It shows how niave people are too, thinking that a plastic tube with some "tablets" in will cure their problems?!

The composition of petrol (and all fuels) its an extremely complex chemical process, all done by 100's of millions of $$$'s by the oil companies....

Im sure some random bloke in a unit somewhere is a far superior choice though :s

but on another note there was something similar used on ww2 spitfires i believe to boost the poor quality fuel due to iirc the supercharged v12 merlins losing to much power otherwise

R-R were an early pioneer of methanol injection, after Spitfires and Hurricanes were pulling higher and higher altitudes and starting to choke on thin air.

First they supercharged the engines to compress and force more air in, and then discovered extra octane with extra air = extra power.

Boring Fact* Where i work the historic archive is in the building next door and i had a look through and found the drawings for the injection pump... you would want it on a car :smiley:

ill be the trial of this. if it wernt fit for sale he wudnt be able to sell it.

apaarently they have 5 million quid in liabilty cover so i think its worth the risk lol. like I say the most its gunna need is a new fuel pipe

if it wernt fit for sale he wudnt be able to sell it.

What a rediculous statement... since when have all the resistor chips, electric superchargers, magnet fuel savers and ground wire kits ever been fit for anything, other than laughing at and throwing in the bin?