Front Wheel Bearings

Yiannis197

Paid Member
ok then, has anyone changed these? Are the OEM ones from SNR? I noticed that the SNR ones cost around £50 each but the "OEM" ones are around £80 mark. £60 extra for the pair for a bit of packaging and branding do seem excessive.

Thanks

ok then, has anyone changed these? Are the OEM ones from SNR? I noticed that the SNR ones cost around £50 each but the "OEM" ones are around £80 mark. £60 extra for the pair for a bit of packaging and branding do seem excessive.

Thanks
I have 2 sat in the garage to do for mine that are genuine. Let me go see if there's any SNR markings on them.

Edit to add: yes they are SNR, good waste of money on my part lol.

just replaced two.
I used the bearing carrier mounting holes and 4 M12 bolts and jack down on the back of the hub so it jacked the bearing off the hub. Because both of mine we're fecked. It left a bearing shell on the hub shaft. No problem if you have angle grinder and 1mm cutting disk. cut the shell at a 45 degrees angle from top to bottom, be careful to watch your cutting depth. Then with a chisel,I got a piece to fracture off, this caused the bearing shell to become loose on the hub shaft and with a gentle tap was able to push the shell up and off the hub shaft.
Getting the new bearing on, put the hub in the freezer and leave for some time. The bearing in a very warm place, not to hot where it would melt plastic or boil off the grease.
To get the bearing back on, I manufactured a device, as seen below. One plate on the top of the bearing, with the bolt going through the centre of the shaft and bearing and the other plate on the hub side.
Using a battery impact gun, just jack down, bringing the two plates together and such squeezing the bearing onto the hub shaft.

you can see on the left hand hub , marks where I jacked down against, using the hub carrier mounting holes and 4 bolts. I'm not bothered about the marks as you won't see them.
1390af5af81e73f2cf24b240881b95c0.jpg

......or and probably easier, find a local garage with a press:yum:

Did you have any play in the front wheels? Had the car in the air today and it's really difficult to tell which bearing is on it's way out. I'd rather not replace both just for the purpose of elimination

I was refurbing some spare hubs, one had a play from just moving the hub, the other felt really rough when spun.
Wheel bearings sometimes show up by hearing grumbling noise from the front, especially when you load ( noisy) and unload (goes quiet) the wheel, i.e. swerving left and right down the road ( a very quiet one - traffic wise).
If you can't hear anything and or you have very little play (pushing/pulling top to bottom on the tyre). Keep on driving

Sounds really bad at 60mph+. Doesn't seem make any difference when turning.
It's not the rears before you ask. New discs went on last week. Noise was present before this too, just seems to be getting worse

How old are the tyres, I know of where tyres have created a ridge/step in the tyre and this creates a noise.

I swapped fronts for backs when i did the rear discs, as they had some old Nankangs on the rear that i'd rather wear out quicker than the new Continentals. Noise was no better or worse.

If the hub and bearing come off the car easily enough, i'll remove them tomorrow and check for any wear in the bearing