Fix for lower coolant pipe catching sump

If you have ever carried out an oil change on the 197/200 you will notice how close the lower coolant pipe is to the sump and in some cases it has started to melt the coolant pipe.

What fixes have people got for this ? I see using an old piece of coolant hose has been mentioned to protect the pipe, what size is needed? I assume it would need something more robust than plastic cable ties, metal ones perhaps, to hold it in place?

Is the cause a worn dogbone mount?

Hi Montana,

I just found out about this issue after the Renault Dealership called me whilst services my clio 197 today!

Initially I couldn't really think about the area they were talking about. And I assumed I must of done something wrong recently when I had to remove the lower radiator hose from the radiator to drain the coolant. I thought I must of twisted it incorrectly and caused it to start rubbing. However after just investigating now and understanding where it's rubbing, I'm not 100% sure it was due to me temporarily pulling the radiator hose off (I kind of just popped it off, drained and flushed the radiator and put the hose straight back on).

Interesting you mention the dogbone mount. Mine was majorly worn and replaced that recently myself too. But going by what the mechanic told me today, it must still be touching even with the new mount (I also did the two other major engine mounts).

I'm going to put the clio up on jack stands this weekend for a closer look. Pretty annoying. Renault wanted $525 (AU) for parts and labour to replace it...haha.. crikey.

Andy.

Hi Andy,

I had another look at this recently when replacing my dogbone, with the dogbone removed the it made no difference to the spacing between sump and coolant hose - interesting you mention about the lower hose, maybe its a coolant change that is cause...

$525 wowsers, i expect the lower hose itself isnt cheap from Renault either.

Keep us posted.

Maybe you could wrap it in some kind of black thermal tape on the affected area, or erm.. Something that won't ignite sort of thing lol. If that does go it would be a big hit in the ole' bank account lol :worried:

Hi All,
I managed to get the clio onto jack stands on Sunday (Hungover Saturday! :coffee:smile:

The pics are attached.

Here are my observations:

- I don't believe it was from me recently removing the lower hose from the radiator, it is no where near the section.
- Extra proof the hose wasn't moved recently (from me), the plastic hose holder near fan looks like it hasn't moved for AGES. The dust on the hose was an exact outline of the holder (in that make sense).
- It's definitely hitting the sump/block area haha (couple of small burns).
- Looking at the hose clamp near this section (Where this hose connects to a hard pipe on the engine), looks like it has been removed before (Not by me). Not pictured sorry.
- I've just put in some thin rubber sheet between the engine/hose for now.
- I loosened the hose clamp going to the hard pipe to try and rotate the hose off the engine, but it started leaking a few drops of coolant so I stopped.
- I'll probably get a new hose in the near future and fit myself and rotate so it's not hitting (assuming it's even possible!!).

Enjoy the pics! :smiley:

Cheers,
Andy.

Attachments

• IMG_0763.JPG.jpg
    IMG_0763.JPG.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0765.JPG.jpg
    IMG_0765.JPG.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0767.JPG.jpg
    IMG_0767.JPG.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0768.JPG.jpg
    IMG_0768.JPG.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0770.JPG.jpg
    IMG_0770.JPG.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Tbh i dont think that mine is that close to the sump.. weird
Good ideas for solutions anyway ( if there is an option to just keep it away from it it is better than just covering it)
P.s you can put there ceramic cotton(common in exhaust's ) instaed of the other rubber that will chew up later too
Can take much more heat

Last edited: