Fitting/replacing Recaro seat base in 200

So I managed to snatch up a great deal on a used Recaro seat base from another 200 on ebay and it arrived today looking even better than the photo. My driver's side was knackered in the usual place (through to the foam!), and the repair work was...not ideal.

Problem is, removing/fitting this new base is going to be a headache...I can tell. The bolts are easy enough to get out, but there's a load of cables under there and I don't want to rip the seat base out along with most of the electrics.

Has anyone done this before and have any advice? Are the cables free from the seat base? Is it easy to lift out after undoing the 4 bolts?

This is what turned up at my door today for £51...really great nick, just needs a good clean. Any recommendations on cleaning products?

oMLiXrl.jpg

Cheers.

Very easy and exactly as you explain. The cables run through cable clips that pull out of the seat base.

Great, thanks mate. I'll have a look at the weekend then.

Is it possible to re-use the cable clips or are they single shot?

Beware the bolts can be a 8astard to remove. They are thread locked in with something only slightly less grippy than a spot weld. To make things harder the hexagon socket heads are only just slightly stronger than chocolate. I replaced mine with stainless once I got them out.

The Clios are easily re useable

I had a go with a 5mm hex key at the weekend. It took some going but I loosened a couple of them. I definitely felt the thread lock give way. I assume it's safe to just tighten them up again afterwards without any thread lock liquid? Assuming I get them out in one piece, that is.

Can you remember where you got your stainless bolts from? I might order some as backup.

Sorry foxspeed I tried searching google but it didn't come up. Could only find full seat installation instructions. Thanks for the link, definitely going to print a copy of that out.

Is there any real risk to re-using the bolts that came with it? I guess they are arguably weaker after being tightened and loosened with thread lock. I might thread lock them again.

Good enough for me. Thanks for the advice.
[MENTION=8494]smithandroper[/MENTION] out of interest, can you source these bolts? Price?

Thanks for looking mate, appreciate it. Just be good to have a backup option in case I damage a bolt or two doing this.

Got round to fitting this today...dodging the rain as best I could! Dead happy with it, especially for the £51 I paid.

Is it worth me getting the old one re-clothed? Is that even possible?

Massive thanks to everyone for the help, especially foxspeed for the link to that guide. Printed it out and used it.

Out with the old...

K8JsMXX.jpg

In with the new...

bxiba3v.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good:thumbup:I would get the old one done then you have a spare.

I was well surprised with the condition of the replacement. I gave it a clean with some cheap upholstery cleaner this morning and the only mark on it lifted straight off...decent!

Only thing with the damaged one is that it needs full new cloth AND at least part of the foam. That area has been repaired (badly) once already...

Do you know where I could get it done?