FIA Formula E

I just think a car should make a proper noise. My one wish in life would be to drive a Ferrari through the longest tunnel in the world over and over again. Now why would I do that in a Tesla?

Totally agree, a Ferrari in a tunnel should be something every petrol head gets to experience at some point. It's pretty good.

And my other car makes quite a noise, and it's definitely a huge part of the experience. And it's HILARIOUS in tunnels.

There's no way I'd want to do that in a Tesla.

That said, for a laugh, the Tesla would take the piss out of pretty much any Ferrari with a quick burst of acceleration, but that's not why electric motoring excites me. It's more for things like this:

(if you want to skip the geekery at the start, scrub through to 5 and a half mins)

As for Formula E, already one of the teams has given us this:

A road car. With twice as much downforce as a Formula 1 car. Oh and over 1300 bhp.

It's a completely different experience, as you can see by Harris's reaction to the Drayson. The feeling of the wind pushing you along is quite something.

Reactions: Big Ben
Totally agree, a Ferrari in a tunnel should be something every petrol head gets to experience at some point. It's pretty good.

And my other car makes quite a noise, and it's definitely a huge part of the experience. And it's HILARIOUS in tunnels.

There's no way I'd want to do that in a Tesla.

That said, for a laugh, the Tesla would take the piss out of pretty much any Ferrari with a quick burst of acceleration, but that's not why electric motoring excites me. It's more for things like this:

(if you want to skip the geekery at the start, scrub through to 5 and a half mins)

As for Formula E, already one of the teams has given us this:

A road car. With twice as much downforce as a Formula 1 car. Oh and over 1300 bhp.

It's a completely different experience, as you can see by Harris's reaction to the Drayson. The feeling of the wind pushing you along is quite something.
I get everything you say but still can't see myself buying a 200 rs 'e'

I get everything you say but still can't see myself buying a 200 rs 'e'

Sadly, we won't have much of a say in it mate. It's going to happen in our lifetime.

VW are already planning an electric GTI. It's pretty much ready I think.

And there are already Renault Zoe rally cars.

Porsche are pulling out of WEC to join FE in 2019 along with Mercedes.

It's happening folks! Times they are a-changin'

Porsche are pulling out of WEC to join FE in 2019 along with Mercedes.

It's happening folks! Times they are a-changin'

Formula E is a pile of shit. I've tried at various points to watch it, but i've no interest in watching cars that sound like a 12v in-car hoover. The cars are soul-less, uninspiring, and slow. Not to mention it's full of has-been drivers who can't get a drive in any of the top formulae. It's like the electric version of Indycar.
What needs to happen is that F1 opens up the hybrid-era engines to more innovation. If an electric car can hit over 1000bhp then why can't F1 allow the cars to have more power, but limit the internal combustion engine to a prescribed limit and thereby give engineers/car companies more scope for more powerful electric motors/hybrid units.

Formula E is a pile of shit. I've tried at various points to watch it, but i've no interest in watching cars that sound like a 12v in-car hoover. The cars are soul-less, uninspiring, and slow. Not to mention it's full of has-been drivers who can't get a drive in any of the top formulae. It's like the electric version of Indycar.
What needs to happen is that F1 opens up the hybrid-era engines to more innovation. If an electric car can hit over 1000bhp then why can't F1 allow the cars to have more power, but limit the internal combustion engine to a prescribed limit and thereby give engineers/car companies more scope for more powerful electric motors/hybrid units.

Stunned Sean. Thought you liked racing!!!??? Shocked to find you're only into noise and engines!

:smiley:

And all this coming from someone who has spent a good chunk of money making his car a shedload quieter!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

And Indycar? That's good racing too. Both way better contests than F1 in my opinion, plenty of good racing up and down the field and plenty of actual competition. And equally stunned you're so dismissive of a very very talented grid in FE. Buemi has-been??? Really? JEV? They may have been pushed out of F1 by Red Bull but that doesn't mean they're washed up. Both drivers deserve to be on an F1 grid a lot more than a large portion of the current field in my opinion. Rosenqvist looks the business too and certainly not a has been. He's only just had a chance to be!

And the cars are certainly not slow! In the flesh I was actually really impressed how quick they were. And the sounds have plenty of interest too. You can hear the tyres, and the cars bottoming out. Plus they're way more robust than an F1 car so they have all sorts of bumps and scrapes throughout the race and carry on to fight some more. FE is a very good series in my opinion. Sure, it has the odd dull race (maybe you only watched those?!) but mostly it's a proper contest with real life balls driven passes and with people able to win who didn't start at the front.

As for F1, it's on the way out unless they go full electric. Hybrid is an absolute waste of time. There's no need for a half way house, the motoring industry knows this, they're only selling them now because full electric isn't a viable option yet so they need some other way of getting our money. Either F1 should stay with proper engines and make it a legacy championship or go full electric and have done with it. That decision is looming closer by the week. The big guys (Audi, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar) are starting to move to electric. That's going to drive the development race in FE up massively, right now it's relatively cheap but now the big guys are in, it won't be soon enough, then it's only a matter of time before someone (manufacturer or driver tbh) pulls out of F1 to concentrate on FE and that will be the beginning of either the end, or a change to F1e.

The big news here is a huge and important manufacturer with possibly a top three history in motorsport is pulling out of an out and out top tier racing series to go electric racing... in a pile of shit series with crap cars driven by has-beens!

Like it or not, the change is very close indeed. You may as well embrace it, you'll have to one day... if you like racing!

Reactions: Sean197
Stunned Sean. Thought you liked racing!!!??? Shocked to find you're only into noise and engines!

And all this coming from someone who has spent a good chunk of money making his car a shedload quieter!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

And Indycar? That's good racing too. Both way better contests than F1 in my opinion, plenty of good racing up and down the field and plenty of actual competition. And equally stunned you're so dismissive of a very very talented grid in FE. Buemi has-been??? Really? JEV? They may have been pushed out of F1 by Red Bull but that doesn't mean they're washed up. Both drivers deserve to be on an F1 grid a lot more than a large portion of the current field in my opinion. Rosenqvist looks the business too and certainly not a has been. He's only just had a chance to be!

And the cars are certainly not slow! In the flesh I was actually really impressed how quick they were. And the sounds have plenty of interest too. You can hear the tyres, and the cars bottoming out. Plus they're way more robust than an F1 car so they have all sorts of bumps and scrapes throughout the race and carry on to fight some more. FE is a very good series in my opinion. Sure, it has the odd dull race (maybe you only watched those?!) but mostly it's a proper contest with real life balls driven passes and with people able to win who didn't start at the front.

As for F1, it's on the way out unless they go full electric. Hybrid is an absolute waste of time. There's no need for a half way house, the motoring industry knows this, they're only selling them now because full electric isn't a viable option yet so they need some other way of getting our money. Either F1 should stay with proper engines and make it a legacy championship or go full electric and have done with it. That decision is looming closer by the week. The big guys (Audi, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar) are starting to move to electric. That's going to drive the development race in FE up massively, right now it's relatively cheap but now the big guys are in, it won't be soon enough, then it's only a matter of time before someone (manufacturer or driver tbh) pulls out of F1 to concentrate on FE and that will be the beginning of either the end, or a change to F1e.

The big news here is a huge and important manufacturer with possibly a top three history in motorsport is pulling out of an out and out top tier racing series to go electric racing... in a pile of shit series with crap cars driven by has-beens!

Like it or not, the change is very close indeed. You may as well embrace it, you'll have to one day... if you like racing!

No chance will I ever embrace electric! My clio is a lot louder now than when it was n/a LOL but I'm still glad it doesn't sound like a Henry hoover. The sound of a racing car is one of the defining features and probably the one sensory element which conjures the most feelings of passion. Formula E sounds like a load of kids' ride-on cars going round a playground.
The turbo era of F1 for me has brought back better racing imo, although the issue in F1 is aero-related rather than engine-related. The cars are faster, and are more difficult to drive.
I've seen the London race, the Monaco race, and one in what looked like a Tesco's car-park, and I wasn't impressed.
BTCC is exciting, and that has nothing to do with noise! I just find electric racing dull. Perhaps if it were 1000bhp electric LMP cars at Le Mans I might buy into it, maybe Le Mans should give a Garage 56 entry to an electric LMP car as a marketing exercise.
If I want to watch a good spec-formula race, i'll watch GP2!

electric-car-meme-2016.jpg

Attachments

• electric-car-meme-2016.jpg
    electric-car-meme-2016.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: ///M
Ive watched part of 1 race, and got to say, it'd look a load better with a proper sort of track and not all the boards etc boxing off the track way...

In terms of the noise, yes it sounds crap, I'm pretty sure renault could help them out on this department, the MK4s have a mode where you can make noises come out the speakers to match how much your revving it, and they do a great alien spaceship one, would fit right in! :smiley:

1:30 to see what i mean

DO tell me that wouldnt make it absolutely more entertaining and hilarious!

Reactions: Sean197 and ///M
No chance will I ever embrace electric! My clio is a lot louder now than when it was n/a LOL but I'm still glad it doesn't sound like a Henry hoover. The sound of a racing car is one of the defining features and probably the one sensory element which conjures the most feelings of passion. Formula E sounds like a load of kids' ride-on cars going round a playground.
The turbo era of F1 for me has brought back better racing imo, although the issue in F1 is aero-related rather than engine-related. The cars are faster, and are more difficult to drive.
I've seen the London race, the Monaco race, and one in what looked like a Tesco's car-park, and I wasn't impressed.
BTCC is exciting, and that has nothing to do with noise! I just find electric racing dull. Perhaps if it were 1000bhp electric LMP cars at Le Mans I might buy into it, maybe Le Mans should give a Garage 52 entry to an electric LMP car as a marketing exercise.
If I want to watch a good spec-formula race, i'll watch GP2!

View attachment 111319

:smiley: EPIC meme mate!!!

your bit about 1000bhp LM cars, that's on the way and something I'm really looking forward too. Look at the Nio EP9 it's STUNNING and as fast as anything around the ring. GTE class could be incredible. And there has been talk of the Garage 52 entry being taken by an EV.

As for the FE races you've watched, London was such a bollocks track it got dropped, Monaco was only there because they wanted the "jewel in the crown" event. The other one you watched was almost certainly the German one, which was indeed in a car park. Not the best for sure. But to be fair, how often is the F1 at Monaco any good? I prefer qualifying there as it's a real show of how on the edge the drivers are.

As for your last point, it's not a spec series anymore. And the regulations are being slowly opened up, which is why we're seeing the big guys getting involved now.

Finally, you'll have to embrace it at some point. The change is already happening and we have no say in it. Or just not watch car racing anymore and move onto something else. But it's definitely coming and soon!

Reactions: Sean197
Ive watched part of 1 race, and got to say, it'd look a load better with a proper sort of track and not all the boards etc boxing off the track way...

In terms of the noise, yes it sounds crap, I'm pretty sure renault could help them out on this department, the MK4s have a mode where you can make noises come out the speakers to match how much your revving it, and they do a great alien spaceship one, would fit right in! :smiley:

1:30 to see what i mean

DO tell me that wouldnt make it absolutely more entertaining and hilarious!

If that's the biggest hurdle to getting more people on board (the noise) then I'm sure they'll work it out.

That raises an interesting point actually, if they all sounded like a 3.5ltr NA V10 (even if it was fake) would that be more agreeable?

Personally, it doesn't bother me, it's still a man in charge or a machine pushing it as fast as he / she can.