Fat wing mirrors

Matthew bradbury

Paid Member
Hey guys

debating on swapping my full fat wing mirrors (have read they are around 10kg each)? To normal ones I have a clio 200.

am I nuts or are they a direct swap?

cheers

The 197 Clio has three types of mirrors and I'm sure they are the same in the 200.
Type 1 : Clio Cup manual adjustment (little stick that pokes into the car)
Type 2 : Electric adjustment/ heated glass
Type 3 : Electric adjustment/heated glass and Power Folding you can tell the car adjustment switch has a forth switch position to fold the mirrors.

Now the type three mirror is heavy but 10Kg is about the weight of a Clio 197 alloy wheel the door loom has two extra wires in the loom or that's the same as 13 litres of fuel (10Kg).

With power folding mirrors you can pull them in down the straights and cut the drag someone needs to work that effect out.

Thanks Turkie top advice! I’ll have a look when I get my car back as to what ones I’ve got...

Do you know if there a standard swap if I have got the 3rd ones

Yes but honestly unless you’re on a street and someone is going to kick the mirrors off or damage them they are expensive to replace, take the coloured caps off which can sometimes go good best on a hot day or pour hot water over them so the plastic is not just as brittle. It’s one of those things go at it without a care in the world and it’s no problem or be crazy careful and break the clips off or slip and scratch it. Your 10kg might be more valid if the door was cleaned out electric windows, motor, Perspex window etc.

What's your plans are you going to strip out the car?

Well I’ve stripped the back rear seats and bar etc ... and just at the minute I have no need for electric windows and air con for the weight benefit

I’m looking at wheels and exhaust and a lighter battery, I love it as a weekend car and don’t want it in bits if you get me :smile:

The basic manual mirrors are an easy swap - but there's not a huge difference in weight. Even a pair of powerfold mirrors don't weigh 10kg

You will need the door looms as the power folding mirror switch is quite different and the extra wires for the power fold to work.
thanks turkie, I know I’ll need the extra wiring but I’m wondering if there is anywhere I could get a pin out diagram for the layout photo that you’ve already given? I feel like if I had that diagram I could probably have a crack at wiring it in myself...

View attachment 141141
I’m fairly new to automotive wiring so I’m just wondering about the wire ‘LDPA’ shown at the top going from 134 #2 to 1337. It’s not shown in the non power folding mirror diagram so it must be specific to the power folding mirrors. The question is, is there anything on the diagram that will show it as being pre - existing? Or is it a matter of cutting the tape at R3, R107 & R1337 and correlating wires existence?
Sorry if that paragraph is a bit of a muddle, I’ve never been any good at sentence structure haha
.:oops:

View attachment 141141
I’m fairly new to automotive wiring so I’m just wondering about the wire ‘LDPA’ shown at the top going from 134 #2 to 1337. It’s not shown in the non power folding mirror diagram so it must be specific to the power folding mirrors. The question is, is there anything on the diagram that will show it as being pre - existing? Or is it a matter of cutting the tape at R3, R107 & R1337 and correlating wires existence?
Sorry if that paragraph is a bit of a muddle, I’ve never been any good at sentence structure haha
.:oops:
Also is it possible that I’m not making any sense and should stay away from my electrics? Cheers :tearsofjoy: