Fancy driving round with 700bar Hydrogen under your seat?

I have to say the range is pretty impressive on what is only 5KG of Hydrogen, you wouldn't get anywhere near that with 5KG of Petrol!!!

For a start the Petrol won't be under anywhere near 700Bar and also... Hindenburg? :smiley:

hindenburg.jpg

Is it anymore dangerous than 60 litres of Shells finest flammable at the rear end of the vehicle?

If you get a leak - it doesnt smell
If its on fire - it has an invisible flame
If you rupture the tank - the car will go like a rail gun fired torpedo at that pressure

But my point being if cars were all electric and the IC engine had just been invented, the thought of sticking petrol in a car would be seen just as dangerously. In reality how many explosions does fuel contribute to in accidents?

I'm sure they can find a way to make this just as safe. They'll have to anyway to make it elegible for UK roads.

Its not significantly different to lpg in a way, more the operating pressure that I would be concerned about, our trailers that carry it in bulk to customers only fill to 228bar in gaseous form and the emergency services dont like going anywhere near them

But my point being if cars were all electric and the IC engine had just been invented, the thought of sticking petrol in a car would be seen just as dangerously. In reality how many explosions does fuel contribute to in accidents?

I'm sure they can find a way to make this just as safe. They'll have to anyway to make it elegible for UK roads.

OT: When the Ford Pinto was first released, the were lots of deaths due to the fuel tank being over exposed and rupturing in crashes in which the car was rear-ended. Ford were aware of the problem, but instead of recalling them all, they simply paid out to the families of the victims as it was much cheaper for them!

AC Cobra 289 has a 75L tank literally behind the backrests on the seats and there's not much bodywork behind that... Wouldn't fancy my chances!!! :smiley:

I've not looked at the link, but I'm pretty sure it'll have a reinforced tank that will be very difficult to rupture. Also, I see the hindenburg reference above, Is that not slightly different as it was filled with gas not liquid?

I've not looked at the link, but I'm pretty sure it'll have a reinforced tank that will be very difficult to rupture. Also, I see the hindenburg reference above, Is that not slightly different as it was filled with gas not liquid?

Oui et non.

It'll still go with a bloody good bang/flame!!! :smiley:

OT: When the Ford Pinto was first released, the were lots of deaths due to the fuel tank being over exposed and rupturing in crashes in which the car was rear-ended. Ford were aware of the problem, but instead of recalling them all, they simply paid out to the families of the victims as it was much cheaper for them!

Thats what you get for buying a Ford, nothing more to be said here.

Sorry, but this has to be the way forward. Electricity is not a direct alternative to petrol/diesel. You just offset the co2 to someone else too, so it's cheating in the first place.

Honda were developing a system that destroys the hydrogen quicker than an air bag is deployed in the event of an accident. Not sure how etc, but that was one of their ideas.

I'm sure in this day and age that the amount of testing will be extensive. I'm sure they've already done plenty of testing, it probably would have been available sooner if not.

I'll look forward to it being more common place, free drink whilst you drive too!

Sorry, but this has to be the way forward. Electricity is not a direct alternative to petrol/diesel. You just offset the co2 to someone else too, so it's cheating in the first place.

There is one slight drawback at the moment, there are currently two large scale methods of hydrogen production

1. Reformation of a hydrocarbon fuel - usually natural gas
2. Electrolysis of water - uses alot of electricity

There are a few companies looking into using algae growth to produce it as well

It all comes back to how we produce electricity, we need a backing of nuclear power and for more money to go into r&d of fusion methods for the long long term. Then we can start trying to push all this electric/hydrogen crap. Instead we seem to spend all our tax money fighting or propping up developing countries..... /rant

Similar Thread Suggestions