Factory Fit satnav <-> standard radio + clock dash.

Anybody here know if this is a direct replacement

Renault-TomTom_size_9.jpg

or is the actual dash different?

I'm not concerned about whether the remaining wires all fit. Just the surround.

So, anybody here with a factory fit tomtom fitted?

Jason is the closest! i want to build a custom unit running odb outputs to either and lcd or a dot matrix / 7 segment display. Since ive been nerding up on my electronics knowledge, it seemed like a nice project, especially as i already know how to read odb, and drive leds/lcds

If i cant get hold of a tomtom surround i'll probably just butcher a standard one.

If it helps I think these are the two part numbers for the TomTom surround. Comes in two parts front and back.

Cap
----------
Dark carbon: 82 00884343
Tropic gray: 82 00884342

Cap back
----------
Dark carbon: 82 00884348
Tropic gray: 82 00884349

Luke

:smile:

Have you considered using a mobile device for the display. It will double up as sat nav and have all the connectivity you will need - assuming you are working with bluetooth connectivity and keep a data plan.. even your own car phone built in lol.

My bluetooth ODB adaptor is pretty good and Ive yet to notice any lag. Have mine on a holder and not as slick as yrs will be though :-(

Now get that motorised and you will have a really super slick unit.. the larger HTC phones are getting pretty low in cost. How about integrate a camera for reverse :smile:

posibilities endless hehe

Liking the fold down idea lee!

I dont want to use a phone really due to boot times and bloat. I can get a wifi board and use something to talk to my phone via its wifi hotspot.

First up, get a display going with some basic mph/real time mpg and go from there. Liking the reverse camera too!

U know yr stuff then.. Looking Fw the pics and video's..

A rooted android phone can be stripped to its bare essentials or run on linux. Boot time could be zero by leaving the device in sleep mode when you close the dash for e.g - most mobile devices battery life should last a number of days + have sleep mode func. so would be instant display from turn of the key and recharge on ignition.

Interesting to see how you get the bits to interface and display.. The existing unit should have all the bits like you say though, just need to add wireless connectivity.

:smile: great plan mate

U know yr stuff then.. Looking Fw the pics and video's..

A rooted android phone can be stripped to its bare essentials or run on linux. Boot time could be zero by leaving the device in sleep mode when you close the dash for e.g - most mobile devices battery life should last a number of days + have sleep mode func. so would be instant display from turn of the key and recharge on ignition

Interesting to see how you get the bits to interface and display.. The existing unit should have all the bits like you say though, just need to add wireless connectivity.

:smile: great plan mate

The phone idea is good, but really i want something more custom. Phones arent exactly cheap, but pic chips / avr chips are.

The most expensive part of this project is likely to be the screen, but i plan to either use some sexy led matrix or a row of 7 / 16 segment displays for the proof of concept (or even just a 2x16 lcd display).

If i do it this way and other people are interested, the screens can be down to choice too.

Took me a few days to build a gps speedo from scratch (back to the future style) just using a gps chip, an led driver module and an atmega328 cpu, so i dont expect this to be an overnight job! :smile: