F4RT

Howdy guys

I recently rebuilt my engine, however I noticed there has been some damage done to my cylinder sleeve on cylinder 4 of my R27 Clio 197 ... my question is ... will a megane 275rs engine block work with my standard gearbox off the Clio? I know I have to blank out the turbo oil drain and oil feed on the block ... there isn’t many 197s here in South Africa and parts are really hard to come by for these cars. My crank is also pretty worn out aswell (bought the car with a wrecked engine and have redone the cylinder head complete , however the block and crank isn’t up to spec and want to fit the megane 275 crankshaft and block to my car aswell as fix up my 3rd gear crunch while the box is off the car.

I would recommend you to go for a complete Megane 3RS engine/gear swap if you can.
I would love to but the megane 275rs engine is like R40 000 here in sa which is a lot of money and you can get a good condition 197 for around R65 000 ... I just need to get a block but unsure if the standard gearbox is going to work on that block ... I don’t want to spend more money as I spent a lot on this car so far and it’s turning out to be a money pit which I didn’t want.

How much is Megane 2 RS 225 engine/gear cost in SA? it should be cheaper.
These cars are really scarce in South Africa and you will be super happy to see one , unfortunately 95% of these cars are abused and not well taken care of ... the 225 engine is hard to come by , to be honest all Renault sport parts are really hard to find here in sa and the Renault dealership is crazy with their prices ... that is the reason these cars get neglected by the backyard mechanics working on them and causing more damage to these cars.

• Sad
Reactions: Abdulla Ali Al Ali
Howdy guys

I recently rebuilt my engine, however I noticed there has been some damage done to my cylinder sleeve on cylinder 4 of my R27 Clio 197 ... my question is ... will a megane 275rs engine block work with my standard gearbox off the Clio? I know I have to blank out the turbo oil drain and oil feed on the block ... there isn’t many 197s here in South Africa and parts are really hard to come by for these cars. My crank is also pretty worn out aswell (bought the car with a wrecked engine and have redone the cylinder head complete , however the block and crank isn’t up to spec and want to fit the megane 275 crankshaft and block to my car aswell as fix up my 3rd gear crunch while the box is off the car.

could always sleeve the damaged cylinder back to standard...or go over size and get a few extra c.c!

could always sleeve the damaged cylinder back to standard...or go over size and get a few extra c.c!
Quite hard to get any parts here in SA @Foxspeed .... the crank is also in very bad shape.... I wish South Africa had a bigger Renault Sport scene , with more affordable pricing ... @Foxspeed any idea if the standard 197 gearbox would line up with the megane 275 block? Also with regards to oversizing ... we don’t even have stock pistons easily available... no chance we going to find over sized pistons here :worried:

Quite hard to get any parts here in SA @Foxspeed .... the crank is also in very bad shape.... I wish South Africa had a bigger Renault Sport scene , with more affordable pricing ... @Foxspeed any idea if the standard 197 gearbox would line up with the megane 275 block? Also with regards to oversizing ... we don’t even have stock pistons easily available... no chance we going to find over sized pistons here :worried:

i think someone did fit the 197 gearbox to a turbo block

as for pistons you could buy on line and get them shipped over and i am sure there will be an engineering firm that can re-bore to suit the pistons...

failing that there is also a place like engine dynamics that have engines/parts for renault

Reactions: Smudger and Yuvir P
Couldn't you find a reputable Renault breakers either in the UK or Europe, and have them ship an engine over to you. You could then sell on the parts you don't need and recoup some of your money.

Reactions: Foxspeed
Couldn't you find a reputable Renault breakers either in the UK or Europe, and have them ship an engine over to you. You could then sell on the parts you don't need and recoup some of your money.
i could have done that , the repairs I have done has landed me a ton of money so far and the last thing I would want to do is go and spend a load more as I already spent more money on this car than a proper running normal 197