Exhaust cats

Legend@wheels

Gold Member
Hi
I was thinking about removing the first and second cats( all) and leaving the silencer and the backbox( supersprint)
Whats the pros and cons by doing that? And if it should be done at all.
Thanks

You'll get no power unless you map it and you'll absolutely fail your MOT.

Could give you a little bump in power if you map it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Im not looking for power ,i just want to let the engine be less strangled . and more sound and pops
So as i see it ( correct me if im wrong)
If ill do it i wont get any flat spots(unless i remove the silencer )/power reduce ( so no cons at all, idc about mot test) .
So only pros and benefits?
Better" breath " ( less strangled)
Better sound& pops .
And as an extra option if ill map so more power too.

Last edited:
It's kinda counter productive to make it less strangled, you'll just introduce the flat spot. I think an akrapovic would help you there as it seems to be the perfect balance for these cars. Although for pops, you can keep one catalytic converter in and remove everything else. It becomes quite lovely with just one cat in. Mine is very lively.

If you're worried about your ears, keep a silencer in too. So the only thing you'll be removing is a single cat and that's it. I don't know if it'll pop as much but it's all about balance mate and what you prefer. You'll likely introduce a small or large flat spot anyway, there's not much you can do about it.

IMO, any tampering with the exhaust system can cause the flat spot. They're very temperamental.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I dont want f.s
Whats your system like? And you got f.spots?
I think the strongest flatspot maker is the silencer

Last edited:
Sorry to change the subject here but with the super sprint back box have you got this mounted to the original exhaust pipe work?
cheers

you will end up going for a full system as a back box change won't give you what you are after, from

non res scorpion exhaust with de cat is what you want, lets out unreal pops and bangs on up shifts, pops, crackles and burbles on the over run, only compromise is you will get a flat spot unless mapped, but all exhausts give that,

a couple of little videos of mine they sound so much better in person,
[video=youtube;6baOdm8wKtM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6baOdm8wKtM[/video]

[video=youtube;jkiGhZPGHJo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkiGhZPGHJo[/video]

i may get shot down for this but don't go down the akropovic route if you want to let the noise out, as i when ive been out in a few with them fitted i was seriously underwhelmed with what it delivered for the money,

Im not planing to buya new system i wanted just to put straight pipe instaed of the cats and leave silencer+backbox on ,thats it.i was chatting with a guy who did it and he says no flat spots at all . (Non cats only silencer+backbox).
Btw any check engine/other icon lights will appear?

And for skippy ,yea it is.

no cats takes a lot of restriction out of the exhaust - so for it to fuel correctly it will need re-mapping

also it will most like put the eml on/fault codes - so it either needs mapping/off or fitting a lambda shield