Exhaust advice

Hi looking for abit of exhaust advice, been considering a new exhaust since I got the Clio but don't have the funds at the moment. So after a couple of weeks of gathering materials and a couple of weeks of procrastination and just £40 I have fitted a decat and straight pipe through the centre silencer yesterday afternoon. After driving it last night and a quick blast this morning, although it is an awsome noise it's defiantly too loud. So I think the silencer may go back in on Monday. Pops and bangs from the decat are awsome but the flat spot is getting to me already. One of the blokes at work had a decat on his 182 and he ran it without sensor in. Apparently he just left it cable tied to see fresh air. Not seen anything on here of people doing it but just wondered if anyone had or knows if it may help things. Not too worried about the light being on (It's not on yet).

Any help would be cool.

I would guess you'd the engine management light coming on if you disconnected the lambda and possibly go into limp home mode. Either way, not something you should do as you'll end up running lean or rich most of the time.

Best way to cure the flat spot is to get it remapped but obviously that's quite expensive. Alternatively put the cat back in

what do u mean flat spot mate surely u shouldnt be getting a bad flat sport if uve decated the pipe

It's like the standard hesitation just amplified. When you boot it it feels much more free. But when just pulling away it's terrible. Not sure if it's the ecu backing off because it's not seeing the cat doing it's job?

I would guess you'd the engine management light coming on if you disconnected the lambda and possibly go into limp home mode. Either way, not something you should do as you'll end up running lean or rich most of the time.

Best way to cure the flat spot is to get it remapped but obviously that's quite expensive. Alternatively put the cat back in

Yeh remap is my other option but will have to wait till after Christmas when the car is paid for. Just not sure if I can manipulate the ecu into thinking all is ok by letting it see oxygen. Might just take it out and block the hole
See what happens.

This has been discussed before. Decatting the Clio will not help your flat spot. There's a reason why it has one in the manifold and one straight after. Everyone who has done this has reported worse flat spots from the start!

IMO stick it back on and if your still after noise, save a bit and fit yourself a ktec system - for the money they aren't bad at all!

Unfortunately modding the 197/200 isn't cheap!

if u get a remap from the likes of RS tuners or k-tec after fiting the exhaust i was under the impression that the remap would remove the flat spot. is this not the case

if u get a remap from the likes of RS tuners or k-tec after fiting the exhaust i was under the impression that the remap would remove the flat spot. is this not the case

Mapping will remove the majority of the flat spot on a 197 without a decat. With one fitted I'm sure it would be improved aswell, it's worth baring in mind that it has a flat spot standard and so fitting something that effectively makes this even worse will be hard to just get rid of with a map.

Matt @ tdf did well with mine and almost all the flatspot is gone.....but I don't have a decat pipe fitted, not sure on the point of them tbh......doesn't seem to be any worthwhile gains from them.

The reality is the standard system is well designed....IMO replacing bits of it is not the way to go, replacing the whole thing for something proven to be good is more worthwhile. As said.....not cheap :wink:

Last edited:
true dan i agree with u there, for me it would defo have to be a full system i got and as u said not cheap at all. i fancy getting a remap myself as the falt sport is a bit of a pain in the ass

true dan i agree with u there, for me it would defo have to be a full system i got and as u said not cheap at all. i fancy getting a remap myself as the falt sport is a bit of a pain in the ass

Yes not cheap! Remapping improves driveability for sure.

After tdf had done mine the drivability through the rev range 3k+ was noticeably improved, peak power goes higher now to about 7000 revs. The shift light is adjusted to suit.

It's a worthwhile mod, there are quite a few people on here now who have had it done through tdf/RS tuning and I think we are all in agreement that it's a great mod to do.

Last edited: