European Trip - Nurburgring, Stelvio Pass, Maranello, Col de Turini, Monte Carlo, Spa

-Eddie-

Missing In Action
Randomly, 4 weeks ago myself and a friend had been wanting to go on holiday. Originally this started out as looking at a week away to the sun. As we are both into cars, F1 and more recently travelling we had an idea of a roadtrip round Europe. This initially was only going to involve the Nurburgring, Spa and Hockenheim. However things spiralled out of control and we ended up going on a 3,496mile trip through 11 countries in Europe over the period on 7 days.

Although we didn't do the journey in my R27, we took his FN2 Civic Type R. Below is the story, and quite a few photos.

We left from Belfast to Dublin to catch our first ferry to Holyhead. From there we drove across Wales and England to Dover and caught our second ferry from Dover to Dunkirk. We arrived at the Nurburgring exactly 24hours after leaving Belfast, 1300km journey by road - by this stage it was 10.15pm on Wednesday 14th.
We drove the short 500m to Hotel Burgstube, Nurburg. Some of you who have visited the 'Ring may have stayed here, or know the owner Martin Bird. Fantastic place to stay, really made us feel welcome and gave us some great tips as this was our first trip to the 'Ring.

On Thursday 15th we headed out quite early on to the Industry testing day. I had no idea of the experience this would be. As a huge fan of AMG and Porsche - this was like Christmas for me. There was the testing of new unreleased 911's, unreleased AMG's, the future M3, GTR's, R8's, the new Mercedes CLK Black Edition and perhaps the highlight of the day - Lexus LFA Nurburgring Edition which was there to set some sort of track record. Incredible car and awesome way to spend our first whole day.

SAM_1838.jpg
SAM_1851.jpg
SAM_1859.jpg
SAM_1861.jpg
SAM_1915.jpg
SAM_1857.jpg
SAM_1840.jpg
SAM_1925.jpg
SAM_1930.jpg
SAM_1929.jpg

We headed back to the hotel around 3.00pm for some food and to prepare for our laps. I ended up hiring a Clio 200 Cup from RSR. We headed down to the 'Ring around 5pm to soak up the atmosphere and to have a walk around some of the cars which where also going round. The first lap in the Civic was incredible, adrenaline pumping, we passed a couple of Lotus Exige and where passed by quite a few M3's. Now I have played numerous driving games around the 'Ring but nothing can prepare you for the experience. It is simply sensational. I then took the 200 round, I wasn't as impressed with the 200 as I was with my R27 but I didn't let that take away from the experience, I also passed an Exige which was great. However getting passed by seemingly suicidal bikers was quite scary!! We went round again in the Civic and had a clear run at the track, only coming across an old 318 BMW facing the wrong way!
That evening we headed out for food with the rest of the guests from Hotel Burgstube, and in our company was a group of Finnish students who had built an electric car - only later did we find out that they had built, from scratch - except brakes (R8) and wheels, the fastest electric car to go round the 'Ring.

Friday the 16th we headed down very early to the 'Ring and checked out more of the industry testing once more. Again some stunning cars where lapping and it was great to watch these cars being driven to the best of their ability around what has to be the best tarmac in the world. We left Nurburg before lunchtime on our journey south to Stelvio Pass. We hit the Autobahn and decided to see what the Civic had to offer - 145mph was our best. Our journey to Stelvio Pass took us through Austria which is a stunning country in its own right.

Night was closing in and we where determind to drive the 48 hairpins and reach 9,000ft to conquer the Stelvio Pass. By the time we reached the top it was pitch black so we couldn't appreciate the spectacular-ness of what it had to offer until the following day. We found a hotel at the top of the Pass and settled for the night.
We woke on Saturday 17th to the greatest of views over the pass. Simply breathtaking, and just as I type this I still get goosebumps.

SAM_1959.jpg

It struck me that we had driven another of the greatest roads in the world. Gorgeous part of the world, photos can't do it justice. We started our drive back down the Pass and took the 48 hairpins aswell as a heap of photos as you can imagine.

SAM_1963.jpg
SAM_1961.jpg
SAM_1960.jpg
SAM_1967.jpg
SAM_1968.jpg
SAM_1971.jpg
SAM_1977.jpg

After descending back down the Pass we rejoined the SS39 towards Maranello. Driving through Lake Garda and the Merano area was once again stunning. It seemed that every mile we drove we where encountering even better scenery. Around 1400 we arrived in Maranello. Wow. If you're a fan of a Ferrari this place is a must visit. Italians are extremely proud of Ferrari, rightly so, but this place was something else. Everything was geared towards Ferraris and enhancing your experience. Within an hour of arriving at Maranello we found ourselves in a brand spanking new Ferrari California! The trip continues to out-do itself. We drove the Ferrari for 15minutes each and I can say that driving a Ferrari around the town it is built, in 30+ degree heat with the roof down will stick with me for a long long time. For me, this was the first time in the trip I had driven on the 'wrong side' of the road and also in the 'wrong side' of the car - no better way to learn than in a Ferrari.

SAM_1998.jpg
SAM_1997.jpg
SAM_1996.jpg

Once we recovered from this epic drive. We headed into the Ferrari museum. This is the most eye popping museum you will ever see. Past cars which had been driven to glory by the likes of Mansell, Prost, Villeneuve. Also previous F1 engines, a replica of Enzo Ferrari's office - all this was on the 1st floor.

SAM_2007.jpg
SAM_2008.jpg
SAM_2004.jpg

Going upstairs you get to see ALL the classics, my 2 favourite Ferraris are the F40 and the Dino.

SAM_2022.jpg
SAM_2024.jpg
SAM_2028.jpg
SAM_2041.jpg
SAM_2042.jpg
SAM_2023.jpg

We also came across a 599XX which is one hell of a vehicle. Lairy as you like, and something to behold in the metal!

SAM_2032.jpg
SAM_2035.jpg
SAM_2034.jpg

We stayed the night in Maranello and then headed to the Col de Turini and the Monte Carlo on Sunday 18th. The drive to the Col was again stunning, Italy really is another beautiful country with beautiful women :wink:. I'll say no more and let the photos on the Col do the talking.

SAM_2110.jpg
SAM_2106.jpg
SAM_2120.jpg
SAM_2133.jpg
SAM_2135.jpg
SAM_2143.jpg
SAM_2144.jpg

It was hard to believe that we drove this road, and even harder to believe that this was part of the Monte Carlo rally. I'll never drive a better road on a Sunday. Perfect. Again it struck me how quiet the road was, we only passed a handful of other cars!
We then had the reasonably short drive to Monte Carlo. Monte Carlo itself is a lovely place with stunning boats, cars and views. However I didn't enjoy it like I did other parts. I would never fit in here. We did see some rare cars and the buss around the place is great!

SAM_2159.jpg
SAM_2157.jpg
SAM_2162.jpg
SAM_2163.jpg
SAM_2181.jpg
SAM_2184.jpg
SAM_2178.jpg
SAM_2168.jpg
SAM_2179.jpg
SAM_2187.jpg
SAM_2166.jpg

We stayed the night in Monte Carlo and then we woke on the Monday facing a 1300km drive North to Spa. This drive was horrific and probably is another reason why I wouldn't go out of my way to visit Monte Carlo. We passed through Switzerland which again is beautiful - we passed through 2 tunnels which where over 15km long each and saw some beautiful peaks. Apart from that, the 1300km drive was bleak.
Arriving in Spa was great. We found a hotel and got some sleep before our visit to Spa Francorchamps on Tuesday.

Our original plan was to take a tour of Spa and then head home. However upon arriving at the track we realised that there was going to be much more to the day, and in the end we didn't even take the tour!
We where welcomed at the track by the sound of a Ferrari F1 car! Not sure on the year, but between 2007 and 2009. This was special. I had always wanted to see and hear an F1 car, and here was a Ferrari. Going round one of the best tracks in the world.
After several laps the Ferrari pitted and we headed from Eau Rouge to the pits to see if we could catch a closer glimpse. Instead we where greeted by about 8 599XX's and 2 FXX's!! We couldn't believe our eyes, and had stumbled across one of the most exclusive clubs in the world - as these cars are only offered to owner of either the 599 or the Enzo. They are kept and maintained by Ferrari, and are only allowed to be driven on these specific days. What are the chances?

SAM_2232.jpg
SAM_2208.jpg
SAM_2233.jpg
SAM_2214.jpg
SAM_2218.jpg
SAM_2219.jpg
SAM_2239.jpg

Unfortunately my camera battery ran out and these where the only images I could get. This was a fantastic day, and made the previous days 1300km commute worthwhile. After Spa, we headed off to catch our ferry home.

I can say that this trip was easily the best week in my life. The things we saw, scenery and cars, people we met, things we done... Money can't buy some of them.

We left from Belfast having only booked the ferry and the lap tickets for the 'Ring. Everything else we planned as we went. The pictures don't sum it up, but I hope the words do! I realise its a long write-up but if even one person reads it and comments - i'll be pleased!

Thats one epic trip, sounds like you had a great time too and some fantastic photos. Looks like Corsa Clienti were at Spa, a division of ferarri set up for rich boys to play with there extremely rich toys. A club I will join with a euro millions win lol.

WOW!!

Sounds like an amazing trip, I would love to do something like that myself.

Brilliant write up! :thumbup:

Good work, I've done a few similar trips and there's nothing that quite compares! How do you rate Stelvio? I thought it was good but a little overrated, roads like the Col de Turini and the Furka Pass are on another level :smile:

Cheers for all the comments guys :smile:.

I don't regret not taking the Clio, we booked this last minute so money etc dictated that we could only take the one car. Would have been a lonely journey with no passengers too!

I loved the Stelvio Pass, I thought the scenery and the road itself where great. Col de Turini was on another level though!

CTR sounds nice shame they're even more lardy than the new Clio's.

Would love to do something like this just end up spending my money on other things....

In all honesty it didn't cost us that much. Our biggest expense aside from fuel was Monte Carlo. £100 each for the room, which was poor standard and £26 for a burger and chips gives you some indication.

We probably spent in the region of £800 each. That includes me renting the Clio 200 and Ferrari California.

Great trip. I cant understand doing Spa after all of that though. Best bet would have been t plan it so you hit Spa first, then the Ring, then the trip through the Alps, Monte Carlo and then back up through France?

Some great pics though!! :smile:

The main reason we left Spa until the end was because we left on the 14th and the tour of Spa wasn't until the 20th. We wanted to do the tour, though in the end we just watched the Ferrari action lol

Can't believe I done this a year ago this week! Planning a Nurburgring trip when I come back from Canada in Spring :smile:

Top trip, interesting read and photos, glad somebody bumped it.

I will do something like the one day!